cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PAYG credit has now got to £75!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I've had the same o2 sim card for 10 years now, always topped up £10 per month and since the tariff changed to unlimited txts for £10 (I never make phone calls) my credit just keeps rising. 

Is there anything I can do about this money?  Eg, will o2 give me £50 back in cash?  (I doubt it but worth asking), or will they let me buy a phone with the money that I can keep as a spare?

Just seems a shame to be walking around with £75 in my pocket that I don't need on my phone lol.

Cheers all!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
afaik, you can use it to put towards a contract, you may even be able to use it to buy your tariff each month... Someone on PAYG will confirm or deny this...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm it can go towards paying your Payg tariff.
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

If it's a text and web tariff where your allowance is dependent on the amount you top up then it can't be used for those allowances.

ie. If you don't top up you don't get your allowances and texts/calls will be taken from the credit on the phone.

One way round it is to get a monthly simplicity account, transferring the number and credit to that account. After a month, give notice and go back to your preferred P&G tariff and ask them to refund the amount you are in credit into your bank. Be aware some old P&G tariffs are no longer available so have a look what tariffs are available before going down this route.

Very messy but the only way to utilise or get your surplus credit back.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, if I don't top up £10 in a month then I don't get my free unlimited txts.

I don't use web at all.

That is very messy switching between tariffs.

I liked the idea of using my existing credit to pay for topups, can this definitely not happen as the other 2 replys suggested?

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

erxcellent  just what i need 10 week b4 xmas

Message 6 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, if I don't top up £10 in a month then I don't get my free unlimited txts.

I don't use web at all.

That is very messy switching between tariffs.

I liked the idea of using my existing credit to pay for topups, can this definitely not happen as the other 2 replys suggested?

What is your tariff called then you will get the correct answers

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 7