cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Texts Off 84222 number just now?

Penny7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Payforit_Sucks wrote:

Can you clarify this advice please, as your Twitter team are still giving conflicting advice.

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 08.08.28.png

My apologies. I've fed back to the team who replied but I can confirm this particular response is incorrect and that my previous statement still stands:

@Chris_K wrote:
Hey all,

Thank you for your reports and highlighting this. We have been informed of a technical issue from the merchant behind these texts, who is currently investigating. In the meantime we'd like to assure you that you'll be refunded for any messages received from this shortcode during this timeframe, and you'll also be contacted shortly once the refund is complete.

Sorry again for any confusion or frustration this has caused.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 81 of 113

BennyS
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had this as well - about 30 messages that came through right after each other.  As I don't subscribe to anything that charges me for text messages I just blocked the number and then thought that was the end of it.  At 6.18am on Saturday morning O2 kindly sent me two text messages that woke me up (thanks!!!) to say that I had reached 50% of my cap.  After trying to work out how to find out what my Spend Cap is and what had caused it to even be used, let alone 50% reached, on the O2 Business website for my business account that the texts came to.  After having had an email from O2 to say I had to ask the question to a different part of O2, the person at the end of the phone said that he had had an internal email about it, that I wasn't the only one and that the 'Merchant' (not able to tell me company name as he didn't have it) had contacted O2 to confirm the problem.

On asking how much I had been charged it was £19.92, so sounds like a small amount compared with others, but I am furious that a company is able to charge me for text messages that I have absolutely not signed up to receive and when a user is blasted with multiple messages O2 doesn't have a system that questions it happening.

I don't have a timeframe for the problem to be sorted or a refund to my account done, but was told it is usually 24-48 hours.  We shall see...

Message 82 of 113

Shanarra31
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, just thought I'd record my first message on these forums to register that I've received these texts also and have been charged. 

I've read a few pages of posts and a post from o2 saying that customers will be refunded. At the risk of making people repeat themselves I have a question. Has anyone received a text message from Freebie to say that they are aware of a technical issue re premium messages and that a full refund will be issued shortly? 

Thanks in advance

Message 83 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Shanarra31 wrote:

I've read a few pages of posts and a post from o2 saying that customers will be refunded. At the risk of making people repeat themselves I have a question. Has anyone received a text message from Freebie to say that they are aware of a technical issue re premium messages and that a full refund will be issued shortly? 

Yes, according to Tap2Bill, everyone who was affected should have received the text you refer to. If you haven't received such a text it would be a good idea to ask O2 or Tap2Bill to investigate.

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 84 of 113

Shanarra31
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Paul. I have received the text, but I have to admit I was dubious about it, so I thought I best check!

Message 85 of 113

Julsbals
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I to unfortunately received these texts. Has anyone received a message from O2 just now telling me was I aware that ‘I’ had sent a premium text message and that it wasn’t part of my bundle! Are they taking the p**s?! Expecting them to clear the charges before the money gets taken for my next bill!
Message 86 of 113

aem
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep, just had a message from o2 about the extra charges.  Not helpful!

I've reported 84222 to Ofcom/ICO and will also be very interested to know how the company got my number in the first place, especially as I'm TPS registered.

Message 87 of 113

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Julsbals @aem 

Contact O2 and they will refund you

All numbers in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 88 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@aem wrote:

Yep, just had a message from o2 about the extra charges.  Not helpful!

I've reported 84222 to Ofcom/ICO and will also be very interested to know how the company got my number in the first place, especially as I'm TPS registered.

@aem Please also complain to PSA as they ar the regulator for these "services" and have already started an investigation. Provide as much information as you can. https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/report-an-issue 

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 89 of 113

Julsbals
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I called them Saturday evening when I received the message from Freebie saying they realised there had been a technical problem and they would be in contact about a refund. Up to that point I wasn’t even aware I’d been charged so checked my account. The O2 representative wasn’t even aware of this huge problem and said I should get in touch with the company responsible for the text. Not a chance I’m calling them at premium rates and give them any of my details. If I contact O2 now are they removing the charges as not going around in circles?
Message 90 of 113