cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Texts Off 84222 number just now?

Penny7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Julsbals 

O2 have said anyone effected by this will be refunded automatically.

There's no need to call.

Also Tap2Bill have said the same.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 91 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Customers of Sky Mobile (based on the O2 network) are reporting that they have received their refunds. Anyone on O2 received theirs?

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 92 of 113

bouncealong313
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nope

Message 93 of 113

Loyal7771
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had 25 in a one minute period on Friday night. £17 on my bill.

Had the tech error txt from the originator.

Theft. Pure and simple.

o2 said they wouldn't compensate, although I suspect they will given what appears to be systematic abuse across networks.

Message 94 of 113

bouncealong313
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I sent DSARs to both freeb.me (Moblix Media) and also Tap2Bill.

Now firstly, the thing that speaks VOLUMES to me is the fact that all I did was send a simple DSAR. I didn't actually mention ANYTHING about last Friday night's 84222 texts or having been charged any kind of premium charges at all in my email. I didn't even mention premium rate services at all - nothing at all of the sort. Yet despite not mentioning anything about it, this member of Tap2Bill's staff has automatically assumed that I was complaining about a premium charge and has taken steps to block them without even asking if I wanted them to look into it or do anything about it. The fact that this supposedly innocent "technical platform" automatically assumes that anyone contacting them must be complaining about one of the companies using their supposedly innocent "platform" says to me that they are dodgy as hell too, must receive countless complaints to the point that they automatically assume anyone simply getting in touch is complaining and automatically block any service the consumer has had without even asking if I was unhappy with the service that had contacted me (I could be one of their supposedly "genuine" customers who just uses the "genuine" services from their platform for all they know), and also that they know full well the dodginess and fraudulent activity that is going on with the dodgy companies that use their amazingly innocent platform.

Secondly, you'll also notice how their response doesn't actually answer a DSAR. Instead they treat it like a standard service enquiry. Kinda also shows either how badly trained their staff are or could even mean that they're trying to avoid properly answering the DSAR. I suspect the latter. And I did even address my DSAR email to the "Data Officer" rather than to anyone like their customer service team, to try and make it even clearer that it was a DSAR (if saying it in the title and throughout the email content wasn't clear enough).

Not impressed but not really surprised either.

All I've had from Moblix Media so far in response to my DSAR email is weirdly that they've completely ignored responding directly to the email (yet), but instead I started getting generic email spam from them going on about the supposed refunds consumers affected by Friday night's "technical error" are going to get after emailing them. It's as if they added me to some redress mailing list for the event just because I sent them a DSAR (without actually responding to the DSAR).

Message 95 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@bouncealong313and others.  Have you received your refund yet? Sky customers were refunded on Wednesday. Tap2Bill have undertaken to ensure that all affected consumers are refunded within 5 working days - so that's by close of play today. Please let us know if this hasn't happened. If you want to be copied in to emails between us and Tap2Bill, please let us have your email address and case details by completing the form on our website. https://psconsumers.org.uk/contact/ 

Message 96 of 113

bouncealong313
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Payforit_Sucks the charges are still showing on my O2 app and my bill hits in three days so I'm going to be **** if they take the whole amount from my direct debit and then leave me with a "bill credit" as their emails suggest. £130 in my pocket right now before Christmas is way more important to me than a bill credit that will last me about a year to pay off my normal monthly bills!

Message 97 of 113

Shep426
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've been hit by the 84222 scam. How do you not get billed or these premium texts?
Message 98 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Email sent to Tap2Bill this evening

Hi Oliver

Thank you for responses regarding J1Media. We await the outcome of your investigations with interest.

We note that Three and Vodafone customers have now received refunds of charges made by Moblix Media via their networks.

There remains an issue with O2. Sky Mobile customers (based on O2) reported receiving a refund on Wedneday. However O2 customers have yet to receive one, and GiffGaff continue to tell their members that they will not be refunded. Is there anything you can do to speed things up. I know you had intended to refund within 5 business days. There are a couple of O2 consumers who lost substantial sums and for whom it is imperative that the refund is received before their bill is produced, to prevent the abnormally high bill pushing them in to an unauthorised overdraft and the consequential charges.

There is also an issue with GiffGaff customers where the abnormally high charges were debited from their bank accounts due to them having enabled “auto-topup”. We are aware of one case where this immediately incurred overdraft charges. The problem is that even if a refund is received, it will be credited to the customer’s airtime credit balance, when it is really needed in their bank. Do you have any suggestions? Have GiffGaff indicated that they would be prepared exceptionally to refund this airtime credit back to the account it came from? I know we should really be asking GiffGaff, but they are still taking the line that it is all their customers’ fault and that there will be no refunds!

Hopefully this can all be tied up in the next few hours and you will be able to enjoy a peaceful weekend.

Best regards

Paul
paul@payforitsucks.co.uk
paul@psconsumers.org.uk

You can reply directly to this email to seek further help or to provide additional information.
For more support, join our facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/psconsumers/

Message 99 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Reply received from Tap2Bill:

Hi Paul,

Vodafone, Virgin, Sky and 3 have all refunded their customers in full. For GiffGaff,
this will be achieved once the O2 refund has been processed which had hoped would
be today - it may have been done, but I have not seen any confirmation.

I do not have any direct contact with GiffGaff, so will have to feed back these issues
through O2.

Once all refunds we intend to send a further apology on behalf of Moblix to consumers,
confirm that their MNOs have processed refunds. Most networks have confirmed this
via sms themselves, except 3UK who have only contacted those whose bills became due
and I believe are offering a goodwill payment.

I will keep you posted, but will certainly be glad to have this all sorted for customers
soon.

The J1 piece I have passed to my customer care team. From my initial view all confirmation
messages and spend reminders seem to have delivered so on face value there was nothing
exceptional/concerning, except of course some of the charges accrued. Again, I will
seek to progress this and provide some redress ASAP.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks,
Oli

Message 100 of 113