Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move old phone number onto new SIM

HW294
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently had to buy a new phone and upgraded my O2 contract at the same time. The new phone with its new SIM card has arrived and I want to move my old O2 number onto the new SIM card. I have followed all the support given on the O2 website & have texted SWAP to 20220, but all this does is confirm the SIM card is active, it does not give any options for how to move my old number across onto this new SIM. My O2 account is still giving details of my previous contract and I've run out of options for solving this prolem. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

O2Lorna
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 192 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 22 Solutions
Hi,

If you have just upgraded your old contract then you can use your old sim in the new phone.
signature
Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@HW294 

If it was an upgrade you can use your old sim as it's all transferred on the system.

Number swaps and ports are down at the moment or at very best taking weeks due to the backlog.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@HW294 Your contract details on your MyO2 page will probably take several days to catch up and update.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 13

HW294
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought the new contract last Friday so it's nearly been a week...

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Only another week to wait then 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

HW294
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok, thanks everyone. Couldn't work out if it was just because everything is being slow at the moment or if I was doing something wrong
Message 7 of 13

HW294
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I just want to clarify - My partner bought the new phone/sim card contract from Carphone Warehouse, not direct from o2 - so theoretically the contracts are not connected in anyway, apart from name. If I combine my two my o2 accounts will I be able to start the process of changing the number across? I know it might take a while but what I don't want to end up doing is paying for two contracts at once. Hope this makes sense!
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to ask customer service to migrate the old number to the new sim.
You cannot sim swap to do this.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

HW294
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay thanks for that! With the o2 phonelines down (understandably!) I am unable to ask them to do that. We did submit this form:

tempsnip.jpg

Will that have started the process for us? We got a text saying it would be within 24 hours - but like you say number swaps are slowed down right now.

Thanks again for your clarification slight_smile

Message 10 of 13