Mobile bill limits

Binkie77
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Frustrating day!

I've just recieved a £400+ phone bill!

I have two phones under 1 account for my children. About 15 months ago, I contacted 02 via live chat regarding a high bill. They put a spending cap on the account at the time.

I duly upgraded my sons phone in May last year and confirmed a spending cap here too so am quite confused about what has happened.

Having spoken to 02 this morning - they said that new rules were introduced by OFCOM in October 2018 and all contracts set up after this would have the option of setting a spending cap limit.

It turns out the bill in question relates to a legacy contract and there is nothing they can do without an upgrade! 

a) why only offer this to new contracts now? This doesn't feel in the spirit of what OFCOM are trying to do?

b) why was I given the option of a spending cap 15 months ago? What happened to this?

When I questioned why I hadn't recieved any email alerts as to unusual high usage (which they always used to do) I was told that they don't offer this notification service anymore, as I haven't set a spending cap and assume I have no limit....

Albeit they can't offer me one, as they can't put a spending cap on my legacy contract (24 months from August 2018)!!

This all feels a little duplicitous to me and I'm really not happy with the new process: with the lack of alerting and inability to set caps, it seems like an intentional trip up, waiting to happen on these older accounts and I'm being held hostage to an airtime upgrade.

Any suggestions other than find an alternative supplier? Loathe to do this during lockdown, as children rely on phones for schooling and any interruption will cause issues.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Binkie77 

I'll ask @O2Lisa to take a look for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

You can put a zero spend cap and premium bar on each phone at any time

Also a bar on charge to mobile

Guide: Spend caps on O2 

contact O2

All numbers in this guide

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support

Advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:

If you call 202, when it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.

Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options

Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to an advisor.

Press Upgrade, Lost/Stolen or Fraud if you have to.

8am is the best time to call

Message 3 of 4

O2Lisa
Former Staff
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5 smiling

I'll message you privately @Binkie77 so I can take some details and check your account

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 4