cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a complaint

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I was hoping to get a bit of help following my recent issues with o2 customer service.

I've had contradicting information; and been promised things it seems like they're unable to deliver.

About 2 weeks ago I started having problems with my old iPhone 3GS and decided to enquire about upgrading to the iPhone 5.  After having a quick look online I saw o2 were about the best on the market for me, as I'm a fairly low user.

I spoke with the o2 chat team on the web app and explained my situation.  In march last year I switched over to the simplicity package which reduced my bill from £50 pm to £15, a pretty decent saving, at the time of taking the contact I was told that I could upgrade at any time.  After initially being told that I had to wait until February, o2 confirmed that I could upgrade for free at anytime via a 'Fast Track Upgrade'.

Excellent I thought, so what deals have you got for existing customers I asked.  "The deals are all on the website sir", I asked whether these were any different being as I am a long standing o2 customer (about 10 years), "Yes, the prices on the website are a guide, and o2 will do everything it can to keep you.  If you ask they'll be able to do something very similar to your existing deal".  Even better! Finally consumer loyalty pays off! I wonder how much they'll reduce the £299 phone by (iPhone 5 32GB)?  or how much I'll save on the £26pm contract?

Last Wednesday I decided it was time to bite the bullet and sort my new contract out.  Iphoned o2 upgrades to get this sorted.  After spending the best part of half an hour on hold I get through.  "It'll cost you £42 to upgrade" - I'm sure that's not the case, I said, it wasn't mentioned earlier in the week.  You're right sir; sorry about that. A promising start!

I explained the conversation I'd had with Anil over the web and get told that isn't the case, that there are no deals whatsoever and if I don't like it I can cancel my contract, for free. Hmmmmm - "but you're staff told me that.....", sorry but no - there are no deals for you other than what's on the website.  "If it were February I could reduce the cost of the handset; but it's not.  So I can't"!

Annoyed I jump on the website and contact the webhelp (possibly to vent a little!), they apologise for the error - but tell me they are unable to deal with any upgrades themselves and that they cannot in fact give any idea on costs as they do not work in the upgrades team.

Obviously by this stage I'm a little miffed.  I say that I'd like to log a complaint as I feel I have been mis-advised and essentially lied to.  She explains that the conversation will be passed to her manager who will call me in the next 2-3 days.

So I waited.

And waited.

Tuesday evening I've still not heard anything, so I jump on the webhelp again; after explaining my situation I'm passed to 'Alf' the floor manager.  He apologies and tells me how he seems things from my position.  Alf continues to explain how he can resolve the issue for me; after a bit of a chat (almost an hour and a half on the chat now) Alf suggests that I he gets another manager to call me back.

Given the lack of call being something that I've brought to his attention, I explain how I'm hesitant as my confidence in o2s ability to do what they say they'll do is at an all time low.  Alf pledges that I will have a call within "24 hours only", he confirms the hours the call back team work (9.30-6.30) and we agree a best time for me (before I start work at 10.30).

Today I hear nothing.

No missed calls.

Nothing.

I again jump on the webchat; I gave them my callback ref number which Alf gave me and explain the timescales I was given. I go on to explain I'm annoyed as for the second time in a week I've been promised a call which hasn't happened.    Ravina explains "you should receive it in some time". Another apology, and she disconnects.

I'm getting very annoyed with o2 and the inability that there staff seem to have to do what they say they'll do when they say they'll do it.  I'm not after money for old rope, I simply want what there staff have told me that they can do.  Am I being unreasonable?  Has anyone else experience this similar issues with them?  What outcome can I expect?

Another thing I meant to mention was I received a text from o2 on Friday saying that I'd given my 30 days notice to leave them!

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally, two weeks to the day and its sorted.

A team leader in the complaints team agreed to knock £50 off the £26 pm handset cost; reducing it to £250. When I phoned to upgrade the lad I spoke to said "because you've been with us so long I'll knock £55 off the handset".

So all in all I've come away with a decent discount - it almost covers what I've spent on paracetamol!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't think O2 have ever offered any deals on the iPhone 5 other than what you see on the web site.

Good advice to always ring and check but there's no guarantee.

If you feel you have grounds for a complaint the details are here:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

The not returning your calls is wrong when they said they would, I agree. 

What is it you expect them to do with regard to cost of a phone or a cheaper tariff of £26? 

Am interested to here before I respond.

Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had a look at the other major phone companies and can not find a deal that comes close to the Iphone deal offered on O2. 

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've already asked them to log it as a complaint - which I've been told that they have.

I'm not expecting the world; a nice new iPhone for free and £15 a month would be great - but that won't happen in a month of Sundays.

I would however like a reduction for the inconvenience cause or a form of redress - be that what it may.

Going on the conversation I had with the upgrades team it seems they can reduce the cost of the handset; if you're in the month before you're deal ends so perhaps something along those lines.  Can't really grumble at unlimited calls and texts with 500 data for £26 pm - I think that's a pretty decent deal.

Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
The deals aren't the issue.

My issues are around been given conflicting answers from them and the company as a whole not doing what they say they will.
Message 6 of 20

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You do Unfortunately get conflicting information.

Only bit of advise I can give is when you get through to the sales team find the best they can do and then try and haggle for more(sometimes works)

Sucks you've had a hard time, I doubt you'll see a call back Unfortunately
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will never get a contract reduction. £26 a month for what you get is pretty damn good ( though it was 1gb of data) I suspect if you get anything it will be £50 off the handset or a top up on data. 

If you was on a higher tariff ( and I mean higher) then you might of got more.

Message 8 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's wrong you haven't had the promised callbacks. I much prefer to speak to someone rather than getting conflicting information on the web chat. The written formal complaint is your best bet but the deal offered seems a fair deal to me.

Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
"It's wrong you haven't had the promised callbacks. I much prefer to speak to someone rather than getting conflicting information on the web chat. The written formal complaint is your best bet but the deal offered seems a fair deal to me."

I can't argue that the deal on the net is free; but when you've been told something by a representative of the company, I feel the company should be responsible for that.

I've yet to have a response from o2; do you think I should log it via the above complaint link?
Message 10 of 20