Did you mean: 

Keeping a sim active when not in use

GlenSydney
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I live in Australia and use an O2 Pay & Go sim when I visit the UK every two years.

Whilst back in Australia I send a text every 6 months to keep the sim active.

I understand I also have to top up every 999 days to keep the Sim alive as well.

Currently I have £13 credit balance sitting on the account.

In order to meet the requirement to top up every 999 days do I need to recharge by paying more money on to the account or can I just buy my next plan out of the credit I already have on the account and achieve the ‘top up’ within 999 days that way?

I’m also thinking the next time I am in the UK I will change from my old ‘O2 Unlimited’ tariff to a £10 ‘Big Bundle’ as it has much better conclusions.

Then after my visit I would not leave enough credit on the plan for it to deduct another month at £10, but just keep the Sim active by 6-monthly texting until I came back again.

Thank you for any advice.

Regards

Glen

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

GlenSydney
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello and thankyou both for that advice.

It sounds like that is my best bet so I will get that arranged.

Message 11 of 16

IsaSA
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@GlenSydney Hi - it sounds like you do what I do. I live in South Africa. For some reason, without monitoring my SIM it's kept active over a number of years. I think I will now need to be more careful. It sounds like the ClassicPG is the way to go in order to keep the SIM active until you actually get to the UK or Europe. I will then change to the £10 Data Big Bundle the month before and make sure there is money in- I would highly recommend this deal, as I've used it for every trip and let it lapse in between because I haven't had funds in my O2 account, but it'll take a bit of admin to swop between Classic and Bundle. How do you pay? As I don't have a UK credit card, I've found other ways. I've now found Ding, after MobiletopupUK proved to be hit and miss - sometimes payment didn't go through. Am just wondering if you've found another way to pay. Ding is consistent and never lets me down. You have to pay a minumum of £10 and I think the charge is £1 or so - it's in USD.

Message 12 of 16

GlenSydney
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@IsaSAHi - yes very similar.

So far, I've managed to keep the sim topped up at least every 999 days by either visiting the UK myself or having a family member from Australia visit there and take the sim to use.

Failing that we have family in the UK who I thought I might one day ask to buy me a voucher and send me the number.

Hope that helps.

Message 13 of 16

GlenSydney
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I changed to Classic Pay As You Go and today I went to send my usual "just under every 6 months" text from Australia, to keep it active, only to find I had been disconnected.

I contacted O2 by live chat and they were very helpful, offering to reconnect me and bring back my credit.

I have to wait 24 hours, hopefully it all goes well.

Message 14 of 16

GlenSydney
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It all worked, I'm back on line.

Cheers to O2 !   grin

Message 15 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions