Did you mean: 

Keeping a sim active when not in use

GlenSydney
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I live in Australia and use an O2 Pay & Go sim when I visit the UK every two years.

Whilst back in Australia I send a text every 6 months to keep the sim active.

I understand I also have to top up every 999 days to keep the Sim alive as well.

Currently I have £13 credit balance sitting on the account.

In order to meet the requirement to top up every 999 days do I need to recharge by paying more money on to the account or can I just buy my next plan out of the credit I already have on the account and achieve the ‘top up’ within 999 days that way?

I’m also thinking the next time I am in the UK I will change from my old ‘O2 Unlimited’ tariff to a £10 ‘Big Bundle’ as it has much better conclusions.

Then after my visit I would not leave enough credit on the plan for it to deduct another month at £10, but just keep the Sim active by 6-monthly texting until I came back again.

Thank you for any advice.

Regards

Glen

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123150 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @GlenSydney

You are doing absolutely the right thing to keep your sim active according to the terms and conditions

7.1. If you do not carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period your Mobile Phone will be disconnected and you will lose any remaining credits balance on your Account. If you wish to be re-connected after this time you will be given a new Mobile Phone number.

As for topping up... you can't use existing credit but there are various ways to do it...

http://www.o2.co.uk/topup

As for the new payg tariffs these are the ones to choose from...

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
  • 123150 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @GlenSydney

You are doing absolutely the right thing to keep your sim active according to the terms and conditions

7.1. If you do not carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period your Mobile Phone will be disconnected and you will lose any remaining credits balance on your Account. If you wish to be re-connected after this time you will be given a new Mobile Phone number.

As for topping up... you can't use existing credit but there are various ways to do it...

http://www.o2.co.uk/topup

As for the new payg tariffs these are the ones to choose from...

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 144708 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
I wouldn't advise the big bundle tariff as this is intended for continuous use.
If you topped up at a later date it would take your top up and allocate the allowances which you wouldn't be able to use unless in UK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

GlenSydney
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thankyou both for that advice.

It sounds like I'm better off staying on 'O2 Unlimited'.

It gives me options of:

Top up £10 to get unlimited O2 to O2 texts, plus 50MB UK data. Top up £15+ to get unlimited O2 to O2 texts and calls, plus 100MB UK data. Also includes international calls from the UK starting at 1p/min.

That should suffice as when I visit I can usually use Wi-Fi in the hotel.

Cheers. slight_smile

Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 144708 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Sounds good to me.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @GlenSydney I'm glad you could find an answer to your question here in the community. Please, do come back if you have any other questions. slight_smile
Message 7 of 16

GlenSydney
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

Just seeking an update on the above issue with plans currently available please.

To recap, I live in Australia and use an O2 Pay & Go sim when I visit the UK every year or two.

Whilst back in Australia I send a text every 6 months to keep the sim active and I ensure that I top up every 999 days to keep the Sim alive as well.   It has about £10 credit at the moment.

I’m currently on an old plan called ‘O2 Unlimited’ which gives me options of:

Top up £10 to get unlimited O2 to O2 texts, plus 50MB UK data. Top up £15+ to get unlimited O2 to O2 texts and calls, plus 100MB UK data. Also includes international calls from the UK starting at 1p/min.

That works OK when I'm in the UK for calls & texts but is not very good value for data.

Is there a better value calls / texts / data plan these days for someone like me making only occasional use of the sim?

Thank you for any advice.

Regards

Glen

Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 123150 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @GlenSydney 

Everything you need to know about ALL PAYG tariffs is here...

You may be better off with the Classic

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 144708 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@GlenSydney login to your MyO2 and change your tariff to the Classic PAYG.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16