cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge data bill - help

Anonymous
Not applicable
My latest 02 bull is totalling over £700. I am most distraught as my average monthly spend is around 130 pounds. I travel very frequently, usually once a month and always use data in the same way, usually connected to wifi where possible. I am not sure how I have managed to spend so much on my last trip abroad as this is the first time I have come even close to this bill total. I fear that I will be disconnected as I am not able to pay this amount. Please help.

David Broughton
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the majority of the bill for data use or voice/texts?

Also, are you on a consumer on business tariff?

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this also a legitimate bill? There's been a lot of scams lately
Message 3 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144653 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
Start off by checking your My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 for a detailed breakdown of the charges.
If they don't make any sense to you contacts CS http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus to discuss and consider your options.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

You say about travelling abroad. You must ring O2 Cs and ask for a breakdown of this bill. Did you have data roaming turned on all the time? How often did you use WiFi?

it does seem excessive...but you need to get it checked out  with CS.

I travel abroad frequently and have never had a bill like that......but I do know it easy to rack up excessive charges unawares...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

You say about travelling abroad. You must ring O2 Cs and ask for a breakdown of this bill. Did you have data roaming turned on all the time? How often did you use WiFi?

it does seem excessive...but you need to get it checked out  with CS.

I travel abroad frequently and have never had a bill like that......but I do know it easy to rack up excessive charges unawares...

I thought it was now impossible to rack up these charges on data as it is now capped (£48 for consumer i think). The only way i can see is through calls and texts but that would mean its been used an awful lot.....especially if the user was within the EU.

It could be a scam bill so might be worth checking

Message 6 of 16

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Charges are supposed to be capped at £40 per billing period unless you have agreed to allow further charges. Check your usage in My O2 and dispute the bill with O2. Something isn't right but you need to talk to them. Don't use webchat.

Message 7 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous...Yes...they are meant to be capped. My son went to Spain only 7 months ago. He found out to his cost that capping did not apply in his case. Rolleys

Then he realised he had sent an awful lot of pictures...uploaded a large amount to FB...and generally used his phone as if he was in the UK...

He was told he had exceeded his limit massively....

I am just pointing out it can and does happen... sadly

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23147 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

What hasn't been established is where the OP has been. He says abroad, but where? Did he receive any texts from O2 that he was going over any limits he may have set?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

What hasn't been established is where the OP has been. He says abroad, but where? Did he receive any texts from O2 that he was going over any limits he may have set?

Until the OP checks we can't be sure, data is capped but if the charges are for calls or mms.....

Message 10 of 16