cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with data please??!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my current iPhone 4s on an O2 Unlimited+ 24 months contract since April 2012.

Previously, I have only ever had a maximum of 750MB data allowance per month and never had any issues with running out or going over. On this contract, my data allowance is 1GB and in recent months I am always receiving texts from o2 to say I have used 80% of my allowance, and most months I run out completely, sometimes over a week before the end of my billing month.

This month in particular, I was on holiday abroad for a week where I didn't touch my data allowance at all, so I only had to make 1GB of data last 3 weeks... yet still, 2 days before the end of my billing month I have run out. I purchased an extra 100MB of data to last these 2 days, and 18 hours later (8 of those I was asleep!) I have again run out.

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me - I dont feel like I use my phone excessively, I always have my wifi turned on when I am at home, my location services are turned off and I close my apps properly after use (double clicking the home button and closing each one individually).

My fiance has half the data allowance I do and uses his phone more than me and has no issues.

I have been in contact with o2 who are unable to tell me where exactly the data is going, just that it is being used.

Also, when I go to Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage , the counter shows that I last reset it on 30th Oct 2012 and since then have sent 440MB of cellular network data and received 2.5GB.... which is less than 3GB in 6 months....

So where are o2 getting these figures from?! Is there a way I can find out exactly where my data is going so that I can a) see if I really am using what o2 say I am and b) control it!! This is driving me insane 😞 I'm fed up of having to last the end of each month on a rubbish internet connection because I have apparently used all of my allowance.

Apologies for the essay but any help or advice would be much appreciated!!

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me - I dont feel like I use my phone excessively, I always have my wifi turned on when I am at home, my location services are turned off and I close my apps properly after use (double clicking the home button and closing each one individually).

Hi,

No need for an apology we are all here to try to help and guide you.

Take note that when your iphone goes into sleep mode it automatically switches from wifi to 3g in order to conserve battery. You can stop this by turning off 3g and mobile data off whilst at home. Just remember to re activate them when you do leave home.

Your fiance may have different apps downloaded to you which dont use data in the background.

If you use Siri remember this feature uses data too.

E mails with attachments can be heavy too.

Also the act of downloading and updating apps uses your data.

That said the data leak does seem excessive.

My monthly data allowance is 1gb and I use the internet on my iphone 5 heavily and watch quite a few youtube clips. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to get an app to see what's using your data and also make sure you have turned off the option to send diagnostic usage stats to Apple.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Make sure you have location services turned off and check the update intervals of apps you have such as facebook, email etc.

Message 3 of 8

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Evening VSR1990.

A great app I would recommend to track down any high data consuming apps is Onavo.

Give it a whirl and at least then you know where to start on what is destroying your allowances.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

No need for an apology we are all here to try to help and guide you.

Take note that when your iphone goes into sleep mode it automatically switches from wifi to 3g in order to conserve battery. You can stop this by turning off 3g and mobile data off whilst at home. Just remember to re activate them when you do leave home.

Your fiance may have different apps downloaded to you which dont use data in the background.

If you use Siri remember this feature uses data too.

E mails with attachments can be heavy too.

Also the act of downloading and updating apps uses your data.

That said the data leak does seem excessive.

My monthly data allowance is 1gb and I use the internet on my iphone 5 heavily and watch quite a few youtube clips. 

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your advice.

My location services were already off but I have now turned off the option to send diagnostic usage stats to apple - I was unaware of this!

I have now downloaded the Onavo app and also another one called Data Usage which I read about online. It seems like these will not only help me keep a track of how much data I'm using and when, but also where, detailing which apps are draining the allowance!

I don't often use Siri and I try to stick to wifi when downloading and updating apps. I was unaware though that the iPhone switches from wifi to 3G when in sleep mode and so I'll definitely consider turning my 3G off when I'm at home if it helps to get this under control.

Thanks again for your comments... Fingers crossed!! 🙂
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for letting us know you should find it a bit better now you've switched of the diagnostics slight_smile
Message 7 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Do not turn just 3g of you need to turn mobile / cellular data off when at home

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 8