cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get out of Sim-only by upgrading then cancelling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I accidentally got a new contract out with 02 instead of upgrading. I have been told I have to pay a £50 termination fee for my old sim-only that I have had for years so that I am not paying for two contracts simultaneously, I cannot afford them both! 

My sim-only runs out on the 8/10/17 so not too long but I loathe to pay the fees when I have just set up a new 2 year phone contract with them!

So I was thinking.... theoretically... if I upgraded my sim-only, which I am eligible to do apparently and then cancel during the 14 day cooling off period,will that in turn cancel the Sim-only that I was on beforehand?

Or can I reduce my tarriff dramatically dor the last few months without it extending my sim-only contract?

Thank you

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I've never tested the theory but it sounds like it would work.
The only problem is that they might drop you back onto your previous simo tariff until it ends naturally.
I'd be carefully reading the terms and conditions
http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Theoretically yes, it would, but can you not just cancel the new contract?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I could but I have only just revovered my credit history and I don't want multiple searches on there before my partner and I go in for a mortage in a few months.

I bought the phone frm mobiles.co.uk under a very good deal that is miles better than anything on o2 for the same phone.

I was thinking of taking out a cheap upgrade phone contract, cancelling after a day, sending it back and joping that because I upgraded that automatically cancelled the sim only beforehand.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I've never tested the theory but it sounds like it would work.
The only problem is that they might drop you back onto your previous simo tariff until it ends naturally.
I'd be carefully reading the terms and conditions
http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It says that if you cancel after upgrading from a sim-only

"If you decide to cancel, we won't be able to put you back on your old tariff"... ambiguous tbh, might be worth a try though! 

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Let us know.
You've nothing to lose!

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I shall come back to you with what happens!

Many thanks! slight_smile

Message 7 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Good luck, I'd be very interested to see if this actually works as it's a great loophole if it does. 😁
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

Got my new £16 upgrade Doro phone delivered today.

Spoken to the customer services and arranged the cancellation and return of the Doro.

I asked whether I would be put on to my old Sim-only automatically and she said that  I could take out a sim-only or choose another contract that I wanted. I explained that I did not want to be on the sim-only anymore and had a new phone and o2 airplan by 3rd party. She said that once they receive the phone back, they will cancel the device part of the plan BUT that I could cancel the airtime plan free of charge within the 14 day cooling off period too. My last bill will still be applicable (£20ish).

I specifically asked whether I would face any charges but she explained that as I have upgraded, I have relinquished my old contract and signed a new one! My 12m sim only was supposed to end on 8/10/17, I have changed tariffs multiple times in the last 3 years. I have been eligible to upgrade every time I have looked at my account though.

So all in all, looks like I won't be paying for the privilege of coming off of my old sim-only for a 3rd party o2 contract phone after all! It's a bit of hassle but Happy days! 

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Nice one slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10