cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

Anonymous
Not applicable

My ex partner is applying for mobile phones on contract at my address. How can I stop him doing this? He has no intention of paying the contract and does this regularly. He has done it twice in the last week, Once with EE and now with O2. He gets a handset on contract and then takes the phone into Cash Converters to sell for money for alcohol. Clearly Cash Converters staff have very few morals as they see the receipt stating he has just got the phone and they still buy it off him. These debts are all mounting up at my house. What should I do?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Call the police and get him arrested.
I'd also inform all the networks by recorded letter and blacklist your address.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Call the police and get him arrested.
I'd also inform all the networks by recorded letter and blacklist your address.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 18

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

and inform cash converters head office https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/ at the top of the t&C to prevent him selling anything else to them

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Certainly is fraud at it's worse. Hope you get it stopped asap. Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

One of the stranger posts of late. Why isn't the OP's ex partner being credit checked when taking out new contracts with different networks?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

One of the stranger posts of late. Why isn't the OP's ex partner being credit checked when taking out new contracts with different networks?

Good question @Bambino. You would have thought this would be the first thing the retailers would do?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

That thought crossed my mind too but I guess it's possible to do it on different networks a couple of times before any defaults are applied to the account, so it wouldn't flag as a bad debt yet.

It's only a short term scam but the debt left behind would be long term for the person left to pay.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

That thought crossed my mind too but I guess it's possible to do it on different networks a couple of times before any defaults are applied to the account, so it wouldn't flag as a bad debt yet.

It's only a short term scam but the debt left behind would be long term for the person left to pay.

Yes it appears @Anonymous ex partner knows this as they took out two contracts last week....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

The debt would be in the OP's ex's name, wouldn't it? Does the address get a bad credit rating as well?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Not sure about the address now... though it used affect rating. I found this out about 20 years ago when I paid for and checked mine. Different (unknown) name but my address. I had it removed.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18