cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ferry roaming charges - also relevant for cruise ships

Anonymous
Not applicable

As this is trending at the moment I though I would add some inf that is available when u use the ferry's /cruise's website. This one is the one on the Brittany ferries web site and you get this inf when u buy the ticket. This will apply to most,although the satellites may vary the same principle applies ( Iceland and Norway are the most common locations for the satellites but there are more).  

Will my mobile phone work on board the ferry?

Yes, an offshore mobile telephone network is available during the crossing, additional charges will be incurred.

Skybridge is a satellite-based marine mobile provider and charges will be considerably higher than your standard tariff.

Wi-Fi Internet is also available on board and is provided free of charge to our customers. In order to use the service you must log-in to the Internet@Sea wireless network using the credentials on your boarding card or cabin key. If you are using data on your device solely via our onboard Wi-Fi connection then you will not incur any additional charges. Please ensure you have Wi-Fi enabled and have logged into Internet@Sea correctly and have disabled your mobile data and mobile data roaming in your device settings.

If you do not disable your mobile data roaming then your mobile may automatically use this service whilst onboard. Data charges via Skybridge will be considerably higher than your standard data tariff. Please refer to your devices operating instructions for details on how to enable and disable these features and ensure you are aware of any data services that may be enabled and attempting to connect.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very informative rosadosc so thank you.

Not that I'm insinuating this to the OP's experience, but the fact is not many do any or very little homework on such costs when roaming ,and only find out when they receive the bill and then look into it. 😒
Message 2 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Customers are advised to ring customer services before they go abroad, and if they do they will be given the relevant information including about cruise ships .

Also this is part of the ferry's terms and conditions, so O2 or any other network have no control over it.

If customer's get the charges back it's done as a good will gesture. Don't want to sound mean or anything but it's just how it works ...

Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can remember years ago still getting service from BT Cellnet after I had docked in Calais along the coast road, and the same on the way back.
Nowadays you're lucky if you get a UK signal in Dover, or get a French one in Dunkirk/Calais. I turn Data off until I'm definitely off the ships network!
Message 4 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122386 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Excellent post about Brittany ferries info re Roaming charges @Anonymous 

I too, always advise customers who travel abroad to ring CS before they go.

Over the past two years, I have found I personally do not have to do this...as I go to the same place abroad...frequently....

Until I knew this though I made a call to CS every time I went.....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Always responsible @Cleoriff LOL

Message 6 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122386 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Always responsible @Cleoriff LOL

Nope...being caught out once did it for me @Anonymous ...Oh and having to bail out my son who ran up £300 bill whilst abroad...and had his phone cut off....Horrified:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

that was my second guess, if u were not that responsible u had been caught in it before, and ouch!£300!

Message 8 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122386 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

that was my second guess, if u were not that responsible u had been caught in it before, and ouch!£300!

And THAT £300.....was 15 years ago....Crazy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shockeduh...double ouch!

Message 10 of 36