Did you mean: 

Extra charges

DerryJohn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey,

I got a charge of £12.89 for calls and texts - I was told it was because I wasn't in the UK - I live about 5 minutes walk from the Irish border in the North of Ireland so I can only assume that the network changed to the republic network.

I thought even then that it was now the same cost ( Minutes and texts included ) within Europe.

Even if not, I had no idea it had changed to the republic network, I normally get a text but I didn't get one, is there any other reason for these charges?

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
Even if you did roam onto a foreign network you should not have been charged.
You need to call customer service again for a better explanation or a refund.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36089 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

Are you on Contract or O2 PAYG, @DerryJohn@? 

Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123059 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@DerryJohnA lot of people make the same error. Northern Ireland is in the UK (edited to add I meant EU not UK ) The Republic is not. Therefore if you stray near a border you will pick up a signal from  the other one.

So that then becomes an international call.

.The EU only brought the law in if you were roaming in another EU country then to call another EU country.  Ie Roaming in Southern Ireland back to Northern Ireland. This will come out of your allowance if you have one or any left.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/EU-Roaming-Changes-from-15th-June-2017-CONTRACT-ONLY-quo...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
But you would then be roaming in EU @Cleoriff so calls and texts would be included.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36089 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Those on O2 Contract no longer get charged if they roam onto an Irish network, either to make or to receive a call while they roam.

PAYG O2 customers get treated differently depending on what bundle they may have (SMS on O2 can cost 15p to another UK network, but roam and the cost comes down to 8p. Go figure.) 

So Contract should be "free", from allowance. PAYG varies. 

And if your allowance has been used, then charges go sky-high on either Contract or Payg. 

Query it with Customer services, @DerryJohn@. 

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123059 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
But you would then be roaming in EU @Cleoriff so calls and texts would be included.

@MI5  I edited my post to show the example from Darrens guide? (which I linked to)

If that's the case then the guide needs updating.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
Yes and that info is correct but the op is still roaming if connected to a Irish network even if physically still in NI.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123059 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Yes and that info is correct but the op is still roaming if connected to a Irish network even if physically still in NI.

Yes I know that but was painting the scenario of roaming near a Southern Ireland border and picking up their

network? i.e.

Ringing any foreign number like Southern Ireland from Northern Ireland ie +353 and then the number is classed as a international number.  If your in Souther Ireland and calling a Southern Ireland number, then it is covered as long as you have mins etc.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

DerryJohn
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the replies, I am on pay monthly, so I thought this was included even if I did travel to the republic, which I didn't ...
Message 10 of 13