cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending phone contract properly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I am planning to move to another provider soon. My current 24 month contract ends on the 26th March 2015. I know I am able to get the PAC code from O2 within a couple of working days but what I want to know is how to get my current phone contract cancelled at no extra cost.

Should I wait until after the 26th March 2015 to pay off the 24th bill and then order a new phone from the other provider or can I order the phone now and then transfer the number now too? Yet again at no extra cost if possible.

In summary I just want to know when to contact O2 to cancel my currrent contract, before the 26th March or after 26th March, and how long will it take to do so?

I just don't want to be in a situation where I end up paying for an extra month of airtime on my current phone when it's being unused.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Get PAC now and order new phone.
Use PAC on 26th March = O2 contract will cancel when PAC takes effect (usually 2 days after, so say 28th).
O2 will still bill you for another month (normal policy) but as soon as your PAC takes effect your account will go into credit, so O2 will refund the extra months charges (this is why it is important to leave the DD in place until O2 have refunded you).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You can get a PAC and when you use it that will cancel your contract with O2, leave your direct debit in place until you receive a final bill.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Welcome to the forum

A help thread here on cancelling contract with O2

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

Please note that you wont need to give notice if you use your PAC code. That automatically cancels the contract...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Get PAC now and order new phone.
Use PAC on 26th March = O2 contract will cancel when PAC takes effect (usually 2 days after, so say 28th).
O2 will still bill you for another month (normal policy) but as soon as your PAC takes effect your account will go into credit, so O2 will refund the extra months charges (this is why it is important to leave the DD in place until O2 have refunded you).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.

For what MI5 said, if I transfer the code onto the new phone on the day my phone bill is sent (the March one), I will be still billed for April too, but it will be refunded as it's pretty much an unused month? Just making sure this is correct. If so, how long does it generally take for a refund?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, that is correct and refunds usually take around 14 days.
O2 will email you to let you know but you can chase CS if you want to.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Just make sure you leave your Direct Debit in place until there is nothing being taken. Leaving it open for a couple of months won't hurt. We've seen horror stories of negative markers being put on people's credit ratings for as little as £6 still owing. Going through the nightmare of trying to get a bad credit rating removed isn't something you even want to think about.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last question:

In the scenario that I transfer my number over a few days before my current contract expires, I get I will be charged for March. Questions are: 1) Will I be charged for April and/or onwards? 2) Will I be charged for changing over my provider before the contract ends? I'm speaking literally about 5-6 days before it ends, or would it be wiser to wait until it ends completely?

Cheers again.

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ending it 5-6 days early is fine.
You will still pay up to the end of the contract though, but that is all. You won't be charged for anything after the PAC is used.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Depending on your billing cycle you may get charged for a month in advance before you action your pac code. If that occurs o2 will refund you around 2 weeks after your contract ends.

If you use your pac before your contract ends, you billing will be amended to the date your new number is started by your new network.
Message 10 of 11