cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending a contract due to breach of contract?

Whiteadder
Level 1: Joiner
  • 27 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Anyone ever done this and can it easily be done?

Everything was working fine on my experia L2 until the other day when I went into the store. Short story: Assistant blunder > unnecessary sim swap > no more 4G (only 3G) > 4 days later no one seems to be able to fix the problem (yet)

I'd like to keep the phone but there's an amount still to pay AND over 3 years I'm paying twice the value of the phone (as it is sold). I always thought if you take out a contract, with considerably higher rates than competitors over such a long period that the device would either be free or cost less, but there you go. That's O2 looking after their customers for you.

Still got just over 2 years left on the contract. I'm thinking of getting a sim only deal with Tesco, who piggy back off O2 so in theory should still be as good a service.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Whiteadder
  • 27 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes this has been tried

Message 11 of 22

Whiteadder
  • 27 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How am I supposed to get a feel from the community about alternative providers if the thread I started just gets moved in to this one?

Message 12 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Whiteadder wrote:

How am I supposed to get a feel from the community about alternative providers if the thread I started just gets moved in to this one?

We can't answer for you mate as we don't know who gives the best signal for you at home, work or areas you travel too.

Try PAYG sim cards from the different networks to see who gives you the best signal and go with them. If you have a choice, go with the cheaper one.

None of them are any better or worse at customer service so that's not really a consideration - signal is everything!

If you need to unlock your phone to try the other sim cards Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 22

Whiteadder
  • 27 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Probably a good application of the saying "better the devil you know"

I hope they fix this this week anyway. You know when there's something wrong with a computer, or an electrical appliance often the last resort is to turn it off and back on again. Seems to me whatever has caused this in theory could be easily fixed by just cancelling the entire contract and restarting a new on on a new sim card. Now why the hell can't they just do that?

Uninstall/reinstall. I can see no reason why that wouldn't work! This has all been a complete waste of everyone's time, especially mine..

Message 14 of 22

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I have to say that I'm surprised it hasn't been sorted out yet.
I can't think of any reason why it should be so difficult.
Resetting your account completely is an option open to customer service but it's not usually needed very often.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 22

Whiteadder
  • 27 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still no word from the useless clowns.

I'm going to fix this tomorrow.

But how? I'm going to terminate the contract, then take out an identical sim only deal with O2 for about 4 quid less per month, and then I also wont be tied to a contract for over 2 years. yahoo

Take that O2!

Message 16 of 22

Whiteadder
  • 27 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fixed.

By me.

Not by O2. I fixed this!

Terminated contract and took out a sim only deal for half the original length of contract (18 months) and nearly half the price for the same tariff + I can connect to the 4G network again!

Pathetic state of affairs. And they even had the cheek to charge me a termination fee of more than the original cost to buy the phone, even though I've paid about £50 already for the phone.

They're lucky I didn't walk. Next deal will be with another provider probably, time to shop around.

Message 17 of 22

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Whiteadder
  • 27 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You advised that ending a contract was a complicated, lengthy process. In fact it was fairly easy in the end.

Resetting the account was also apparently not possible (according to the advisor in the shop)

In the end I reset the account by demanding to terminate the contract and start a new sim only. I fixed what noone else in the entire company could fix in less than 24 hours.

I resolved the problem myself.

Message 19 of 22

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Well done wink

Currently using:
Message 20 of 22