Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Termination Fee

TristanHamilton
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, I'm just checking to see if anyone has any advice on what I can do, if anything at all regarding this matter.

A few months back I went into my local 02 store and agreed to upgrade my contract early. However, due to the fact I had some things to sort out on the old phone first, we decided to set up a new contract and then cancel the old contract once I was done. Never at any point during this process was I told that I would be required to pay a early termination fee since I wasn't leaving, but upgrading (in an unconventional way). I was however told that when I cancelled the contract, I would have to pay off the rest of my airtime bill for what has been used. In the phone call when I cancelled the old phone, still nothing was said about an early termination fee, rather that some credit would be given back towards the final airtime bill. 

Suddenly today I've received an email to say that I have an overdue bill which I'd never been made aware of until it was overdue. I've gone over to the website to find it since there is no record of it on the app and there's no option to pay it.

My question regarding this whole situation is, given the circumstances surrounding the whole unconventional upgrade, would 02 be able to wipe the fee for me or is there another way around it? Or, am I going to have to give in and fall foul to the system? I figured I'd check here before storming into my local branch.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @TristanHamilton, glad to see you back and that all was an error in the cancellation process. smiling let us know if we can help you more Wave 

Thanks so much @jonsie@MI5 and @Anonymous for helping kissing_heartkissing_heartHero

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 11 of 14

cancellation
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was told yesterday i would not have to pay a cancellation fee or any fee of that sort to cancel my contract today.

i have rung up today and now been told i ahve to pay

surely being told i dont have to pay means i dont have to

whats the difference between his and walking into a shop and something being labelled £30 but the till says £60. they legally have to sell it to you for £30.

if someone could get back about where i stand because this is ridiculous being told two different things

thanks 

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cancellation If you are cancelling your contract early or upgrading then you must pay what is left of your current device plan or contract. You agreed to the t&c

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/td-p/877701

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774

Message 13 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@cancellation

Whoever told you that you wouldn't have to pay was misinforming you. Anyone who cancels their contract early has to pay the remainder of their contract.

You gave an example, I'll give you another one.

Say you applied for a contract for a phone costing £900 and decided after a month you wanted to cancel, do you honestly think anyone would allow you to walk away with a phone of that value without paying for it?

Follow the information above on Cancellation.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 14