Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dongle & Wifi Broadband

almaca
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am looking for an explanation of what is provided with a Dongle and Wifi broadband. A friend presently has PAYG only but hopes to switch to monthly contract and specifically the contract which provides 75GB of data and 100 texts per month.

What I need to know is: 

1. How do you know when you've reached 75GB of usage, and what happens if you exceed it?
2. Does some of your monthly payent include mobile 'phone usage and is the 75GB data allowance reduced in relation to how many calls you make?
3. Can you change settings so that it is impossible to exceed the allowance?

I tried 'phoning o2 but, when I eventually got through, they didn't seem to be able to answer the above questions.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@almaca 

Data just stops when you reach your limit so you cannot exceed allowances.

Data only sims do not include any voice calls but you get a free bonus of 100 texts.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@almaca 

Data just stops when you reach your limit so you cannot exceed allowances.

Data only sims do not include any voice calls but you get a free bonus of 100 texts.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

almaca
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi MI5,

Thanks for the information. Does this mean that the existing PAYG SIM can continue to be used and topped up as necessary. I presume the Data SIM is then inserted in the dongle?

The person I spoke to at o2 mentioned something about a £10 charge if you exceeded your limit but she didn't seem to know much about it herself.
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@almaca 

Yes the data sim goes in the dongle and the other PAYG sim is used as normal.

No idea where the notion of a £10 charge comes from, sounds like they were guessing rather than checking their facts.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

almaca
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. That helps explain things. Is there any comeback if you take the 2-year contract and then find that the signal is so unreliable that you can't use it ?

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@almaca 

You can cancel for free within 14 days if it's unsuitable, but after that you are responsible for the full term of the contract.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

almaca
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay, thanks. Thanks good to know.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No problem.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8