Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges while abroad

Class2ldn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all, currently in Cape verde and have just seen I've been nearly £28 for my first day here and 81p for the 2nd day even though I've had all my mobile data and data roaming switched off. I got the usual here is your charges text and then immediately switched off data and roaming. Theres no way in about 20 minutes from getting off the plane to switching it all off I could accrue that amount of charges.
Spoke to someone on chat who tried saying that's how my phone is designed and that even though I have all data etc switched off it can still use it which is rubbish.
Offered £10 refund which is a joke.
Any ideas how I could have been getting data through or where to go next with this as it's a disgrace?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Class2ldn 

At over £7 per mb it's very easy to use £28 worth - only 4mb!

Also if you turn phone off it can use small amounts of data when you turn it on even with data turned off.

The best thing to do is leave it on airplane mode with wifi on so you can use any hotspots when you find them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Class2ldn 

At over £7 per mb it's very easy to use £28 worth - only 4mb!

Also if you turn phone off it can use small amounts of data when you turn it on even with data turned off.

The best thing to do is leave it on airplane mode with wifi on so you can use any hotspots when you find them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Class2ldn  Put your phone in airplane mode and use WiFi wherever you can.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

Class2ldn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the advice but how is my phone still using data? Also I didn't use my phones internet at all after landing and before I had switched the data and roaming off and have only been using wifi.
My phone hasn't been switched off either
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Class2ldn 

Are you using airplane mode as I suggested?

There's always a risk if not and 81p is literally a kB or two.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Class2ldn You may have only switched off roaming, but your mobile data may have still been on. It's easily done, and can wind up being very costly. Use WhatsApp over WiFi for calls and texts if you and your contacts have the app. Won't cost you a penny.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Do you have an iphone?
Turning it off/on causes imessaging to use a little bit of data to register before wifi kicks in.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 8

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
It's also worth turning off voice mail as that can charge you
Message 8 of 8