Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

DavidP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi.  Something has started using up all my data.  The only thing I can think of is Google Maps, which I've started using recently.  I've stopped usnig it though and all my data is still disappearing.  I topped up 500mb this morning at my desk and it's already gone.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Estimated data usage per hour for Amazon Music:
Data Saver (48-96 kbps): approximately 43MB per hour
Standard (128-160 kbps): approximately 72MB per hour
HD 330MB per hour
Ultra HD or 4K 720MB per hour.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@DavidP 

Turn mobile data off and use only Wifi.

You can check on your phones settings to see what is using your data.

It's well known that FB is a data cruncher so turn off apps you don't use.

Edited to add, read this link about using Google Maps without data google maps 

It doesn't use much data anyway.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

DavidP
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks - I'll give that a go
Message 3 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Your welcome @DavidP 

Hope it all goes well thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 15

DavidP
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok so I've checked my Mobile Data usage and it looks like it's Amazon Music, which I use in the car.  I've never known it burn up so much data before though.  Could something have chnaged last time I allowed my phone to update?

Message 5 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@DavidP 

Amazon Music can be used with bluetooth when you set it to Car Mode.

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/amazon-music-now-has-a-car-mode-here-s-how-to-use-it-71617... 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@DavidP 

If using Amazon music in your car it will download songs from your cloud and use data to do this.

You can either reduce the bandwith by using standard definition (by default it uses best available which could be 4k) or you can download your playlists to your phone and use it on offline mode which will use no data at all provided you download the playlists originally on a wifi connection.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

DavidP
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I changed my car a few months ago and noticed Amazon Music was going into Car Mode when I plugged my phone into the charger.  So as far as I know I've been connecting that correctly.  I drove to work this morning, it took about an hour and I had Amazon Music on.  And it must have burnt through about 1 GB.  That just seems a lot when I've never had any problems until the last couple of months

Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@DavidP wrote:

I changed my car a few months ago and noticed Amazon Music was going into Car Mode when I plugged my phone into the charger.  So as far as I know I've been connecting that correctly.  I drove to work this morning, it took about an hour and I had Amazon Music on.  And it must have burnt through about 1 GB.  That just seems a lot when I've never had any problems until the last couple of months

@DavidP 

It does say in the link I provided it should connect via Bluetooth. It wouldn't use data if you turned mobile data off. Just download the music you want to hear at home via Wifi.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Bluetooth is just the connection between car and phone.
It still needs to get the content from somewhere.
Either from your device by downloading in advance or from the cloud, as I said above.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15