Did you mean: 

Data roaming on a cruise ship

cbradle5
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Morning - Any experience of this.

My son is due to go an a cruise ship on Saturday with his mobile phone. Not sure how this sits with the roaming use. Ive heard that if he as at sea then his mobile will try to connect to ships own satellite antenna and incur extortionate charges.

Ive disabled roaming on his device but he'll be out of my sight. Can I put a restriction on this on his account?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@cbradle5 

You'll need to call O2 to apply a zero spend cap Guide: Spend caps on O2 

Cruise ship guide to charges here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@cbradle5 

My grandson went on a cruise last year. Whilst he was on board his phone was turned off .

When he disembarked he used Wifi or O2 Travel https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad 

Prices onboard ship are horrendous and depend on the cruiseline

You are connected to the ships satellite which is why the  costs are exorbitant.

So on board the phone should be off.

Once the ship docks then it can be turned on again when he is away from the ship

This is the only safe way to ensure you don't end up with a horrendous bill.

Check this guide about cruise ships https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

NC201
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does O2 still have voice/SMS roaming agreements with maritime networks as been told there's no mobile data available when roaming on these. I appreciate the costs involved but I'm about to go on a cruise and want to be contactable via Voice/SMS in emergencies for business reasons. I've a data package for WiFi on board the ship so that's covered for general data.

I appreciate the pricing is extortionate and appreciate that before anyone needs to remind me if the costs!

Message 4 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@NC201 

A lot of ships, no longer use Mobile Data connections as its now cheaper to use Satellite Data for WiFi access, and also the infrastructure is cheaper to install and run. 

Voice and SMS will be down to each ship, but should be available, it might be worth speaking to the cruise line to find out..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 6

NC201
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers, it was more whether O2 still have roaming agreements with these individual networks on-board? I believe the network Royal Caribbean use is 'Cellular at Sea'

Message 6 of 6