Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not throttled or stopped?

Peanut
Level 3: Thinker
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Good morning! Yesterday I received a text to say I’d run out of data. Not a surprise as I’ve hammered it this month! However, it’s supposed to be stopped or throttled when you reach the end and mine just carried on working. Is it something that updates at midnight and stops then, or should it have happened at the point of running out? And will I get a bill for the little bit I carried on using? Thanks in advance for the help!
I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Peanut
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @jonsie It stopped later, after not loading up pics on websites for a while. Coz I’m on a simo that’s already discounted for everyone, there’s no special discount for me. I work for an outsource company as well so I don’t get the 50% that o2 direct employees do. 😤

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If on a standard consumer contract it will stop working assuming you are in the UK.
If on a business contract or abroad it will continue to work and you will be charged at your standard rate per mb as defined by your tariff.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Peanut
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for the quick reply! I’m on a standard consumer sim only contract. And it didn’t stop working when I reached the limit. There’s no wi fi at work but I could still carry on using the internet during break after receiving the text saying I’ve got no data left! Puzzled! 🤔
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Was it 100% used or the 80% warning?
Have you checked your MyO2 to see if it concurs with the text?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Did you take out the plan with one of those bonus data promotions?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 13

Peanut
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@MI5. It was 100% used up. @gmarkj. No, it’s a normal 6GB at £15.00 per month. I’m gonna try it again at work today, where there’s no wi fi and see if it still connects. I’m concerned because this forms part of the Ts & Cs we read out to customers and I don’t want to give wrong info. After all, I’m a customer myself!
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Until a couple of years ago, data was throttled when used up, so you could still use messenger, whatsapp etc but you had no chance to stream anything.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Peanut Shouldn't you be giving us the answers, or is that in an alternative universe?:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

From what I understand, data slows down so it's virtually unusable for anything much at all. However, as you are in the UK there will definitely be no charges. Maybe you are special as you will be on a staff tariff?

Message 9 of 13

Peanut
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @Bambino You’d think, wouldn’t you! It’s in our Ts &Cs as well. I’ve never run out of data before! I didn’t get a text at 80% either! It did actually stop properly later on.

Message 10 of 13