cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Start from the beginning shall we! I had originally an Xperia z with 1GB of Internet which kept getting used up within 2 weeks of my data resetting. I thought this was due to me using my internet far too much on my phone. I went into O2 and asked the girl who said this was the case and to buy an extra Gb of data so now I have 2gb (did this about a year ago). Anyway it kept happening, 2gb used up within two weeks each month and me buying an extra 500mb of data on top which also got used up. I turn my data off when I am not using it to save as much as possible. I ended up switching to an iPhone 5 in October and though things would change as my boyfriend had it and ha 3gb of Internet and never went over this at all and never came near to it but uses his phone for all the same things as me. But alas no still kept happening. Anyway I've come to the conclusion there is something wrong with my contract as on Friday I had all my data turned off as usual, all automatic updates off and bought 500mb of data and within 5 minutes I had a text saying I had used 80% of my data!!! I hadn't even turned it back on!! So clearly for the past year or so I have been paying extra for data and I neednt have as there is clearly something wrong that has nothing to do with the amount I am using! Can anybody think what could be wrong? I'll be wanting all my money back for all the extra data I paid for and didn't need to tbh and making a complaint! But if anyone could help me in figuring out what the issue is that would be great.
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146362 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28165 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought we had seen other instances on here of Apple devices using huge amounts of data in a matter of minutes. @MI5 didn't this happen to you?

Yes, it did.

O2 weren't interested and kept insisting it was my fault so I moved that account to EE.

Strangely, data use is now what I would call normal again for the usage that device gets at around 300-500mb a month and not a day !!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 21 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
This happened on both my iPhone and android so not an iPhone issue. I have upgraded now to 5gb so if it happens again I'll definately be going to ombudsman cause that's ridiculous! Even the staff at O2 were baffled. I got £5 off for a year as compensation but I don't think anyone has actually investigated tbh! 😞
Message 22 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also asked customer services and they had no knowledge of the sharer plan thing so bit annoying
Message 23 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so I've had the iPhone 6 for two weeks now, checked my data usage and I have used 3.9gb even tho I have used it for the same things!! I haven't used it anymore than I would have before! Ridiculous! Something dodgy is going on and this is why I was not happy going with O2 again but I get a 30% discount and I was promised £5 off for the complaint. But cmon 3.9gb in 2 weeks and only using my phone for social media? When previously in 2 weeks I used 2gb...
Message 24 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you new to iPhone? Are you aware that one of the iPhone features is that wifi turns off automatically overnight so many of your updates will occur over the air?

This is not specific to o2 iPhones. This is an Apple issue.
Message 25 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146362 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28165 Solutions
iPhones use immense amounts of data. You need to turn off background app refresh. Turn off autoplay videos in the Facebook app and make sure mobile data is turned off when you are connected to WiFi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 26 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
All these settings changes. Seems such an effort.

Remind me why people use iPhone? Android so much more straight forward
Message 27 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Omg read the entire post I've done all that. I give up.
Message 28 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
OK, firstly calm down.
Secondly, this is a customer to customer forum so the large majority are customers like you or I and giving their free time to help you.
So let's try

Ok you only use it for social media
And we know fb video is disabled.
What other apps are you using for social media?
Message 29 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I know this is a customer forum I am not an idiot, but I thought you guys would be more helpful than O2 CS as they keep repeating the same nonsense to me.

I use it for facebook, twitter, instagram and snapchat.

I also use iMessage, browse the internet and check emails.

Occasionally I stream from spotify & watch videos on youtube but mostly don't do this as my data runs out so quickly.

I turn all data off when not in use. I also have background refresh etc off. I have been in the O2 store twice, they have checked my phone and everything that would possibly need to be turned off for saving data is turned off. They have checked it and even they don't have an answer. I just completely give up. This is my first month with 5GBwhich  started yesterday, I will monitor it but if I use it all up in 4 weeks I'll genuinely flip my lid.

Message 30 of 49