cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Start from the beginning shall we! I had originally an Xperia z with 1GB of Internet which kept getting used up within 2 weeks of my data resetting. I thought this was due to me using my internet far too much on my phone. I went into O2 and asked the girl who said this was the case and to buy an extra Gb of data so now I have 2gb (did this about a year ago). Anyway it kept happening, 2gb used up within two weeks each month and me buying an extra 500mb of data on top which also got used up. I turn my data off when I am not using it to save as much as possible. I ended up switching to an iPhone 5 in October and though things would change as my boyfriend had it and ha 3gb of Internet and never went over this at all and never came near to it but uses his phone for all the same things as me. But alas no still kept happening. Anyway I've come to the conclusion there is something wrong with my contract as on Friday I had all my data turned off as usual, all automatic updates off and bought 500mb of data and within 5 minutes I had a text saying I had used 80% of my data!!! I hadn't even turned it back on!! So clearly for the past year or so I have been paying extra for data and I neednt have as there is clearly something wrong that has nothing to do with the amount I am using! Can anybody think what could be wrong? I'll be wanting all my money back for all the extra data I paid for and didn't need to tbh and making a complaint! But if anyone could help me in figuring out what the issue is that would be great.
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124054 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Only O2 customer services can sort this for you http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

They will be able to look at your usage and give an explanation.

Some people have recently been put on a shared data tariff. You may not have asked for it but it could be one of the reasons...  Again you need to check this out with O2....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest looking going into SETTINGS then DATA USAGE on the handset as this lists how data has been used.

Also, check your email folders, specifically the outbox, to make sure its clear. You may have a message which is constantly trying to send which could eat up data.

Message 3 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Something does not sound right as you say you've been using two different phones , as some would say it's down to using an iPhone which some users have reported it uses data faster than another make of smartphone.

I note you say you turn off 'mobile data' in the phones settings ,so this should stop the phone using the networks connection.

If you had not said that I would have said the iPhone auto switches from wifi back to network data when it's screen goes to sleep as a battery saving feature (an unnecessary one I might add)

Look in your iPhones settings under

Settings - Mobile and look at the apps at the bottom to see what app is using how much data.

You could get a diagnostic run on the iPhone at an Apple Store as a process of elimination via a Genius Bar appointment.

You could certainly contact O2 customer services to go over your account and usage. o2 Customer Services Link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Message 4 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 124054 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

You also need to check whether you are sending MMS instead of SMS. I know many people do this inadvertently A guide here..

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I'm aware a person does need Mobile Data turned on to send and recieve Multi Media Messages but does not use any Data Allowance significantly. 

It does however pay to investigate all avenues.

Message 6 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 124054 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

Indeed...investigating all avenues is pretty commonplace.....or so it appears.

However I would imagine that MMS requiring mobile data to send... would mean other apps would jump in and use data to update themselves during this time. I could be wrong of course....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
What concerns me is the rate of data usage in the time frame stated. App updates would not accrue data usage to the level noted.

A firmware update for example would use a large chunk ,but I suspect not even that would use up what the Op is experiencing.
Message 8 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146362 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28165 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

However I would imagine that MMS requiring mobile data to send... would mean other apps would jump in and use data to update themselves during this time. I could be wrong of course....

This was a commonly reported issue on older iOS revisions but I thought Apple had said they had fixed that particular issue, of course that doesn't rule it out as a possibility.

I never did get a resolution to the similar issue that I had but after the initial investigations O2 were digging their heals in saying it was user error, so I gave up and moved the account too EE.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That could be possible. 

Message 10 of 49