Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges

Simon1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Visited Turkey from 6th August until 12th August checked my bill and from the 12th to today it keeps going up now on £36 , I switched data off and still have half my personal allowance left , I connected to free WiFi in the hotel on first day , the £36 is on the first day of my holiday , I did not have 02 travel , is this bill likely to increase as it says it can take 4 or more weeks to gather information , I used 8mb which have accounted for £36 , spoke to gurus but they all tried selling me 02 travel which is pointless as I came home on the 12 th .
Getting worried I have run up a huge bill , one advisor said it is capped at £40 , hope this is correct.
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes it is capped at £40 per billing cycle, so if your bill was generated whilst you are away you could get 2 lots of £40.
But, if you've turned off data completely now you will only pay for calls and texts.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes it is capped at £40 per billing cycle, so if your bill was generated whilst you are away you could get 2 lots of £40.
But, if you've turned off data completely now you will only pay for calls and texts.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Simon1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you MI5, I am usually very careful using my phone abroad so I was shocked to see the bill going up since I returned , obviously not careful enough , I will have to take the £80 hit , it could have been worse .
Message 3 of 10

Simon1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I sent 1 text message made no phone calls , the £36 is all data , I got there at silly o'clock and did not get the password for the WiFi , did not switch data off until I connected to WiFi so assume the £36 charge is arriving in Turkey until free WiFi.
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes for sure but that should be all if you had data off afterwards.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Simon1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I thought I had switched off data roaming so puzzled why I have racked up £36 , I know personal data was off I kept checking it , on the bill it says so far £36 for Monday 6th and 30p for days then on I am worried now that the bill will just keep going up if I didn't turn roaming off , it says it can take over 4 weeks , if it's capped at £40 then that eases my worries
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It is so that's the worst it can get.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Simon1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks again M15
Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No worries mate.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Simon1 welcome to our community! slight_smile And welcome back from Turkey. slight_smile Looks like you got a lot of helpful information above from @MI5 but don't hesitate to post again if you have any further questions.

Cheers @MI5 for your help! thumbsup

Message 10 of 10