Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges whilst abroad

peacedog
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, has anyone else experienced/suffered charges for data whilst actually travelling to a foreign destination? The last two trips abroad I have taken have resulted in data charges being applied whilst I have been in the air. International data roaming is switched OFF and airplane mode is activated. 02 have so far been unhelpful in resolving the issue. Anyone know if I am doing something wrong or failing to take necessary action? Phone is a Sony Xperia XZ running Android 8.0.0

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @peacedog

You need to switch off mobile data first, then switch on airplane mode. If you switch on airplane mode, without switching off mobile data first, data is still running.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144165 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You need to turn off mobile data completely.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @peacedog

You need to switch off mobile data first, then switch on airplane mode. If you switch on airplane mode, without switching off mobile data first, data is still running.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 5

Davefingers
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have been charged for unwitting data use abroad. Apparently something loaded to my phone in the area of Faroe Islands. I queried this with o2 on 18th October. Still waiting for a reply.
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Keep on at them. You don't say how much the charges are or for what but the secret is getting through to a sympathetic adviser which could mean multiple calls.

Message 5 of 5