cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data bolt-ons not available for Pay Monthly Simplicity?

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hello,

I'm on a 2008 tariff. I have an ancient seven-year-old phone that I have only just "upgraded" to a slightly less ancient four-year-old phone because the WAP service on National Rail has stopped working on the old old phone.

I have a comical inclusive data "bolt-on" of 1 MB. Yes, 1 MB! This was just about enough for very basic WAP browsing (for live train times), but for some time I've wanted to get a bit more of a data allowance. I did a live text chat thing and the agent said I would have to do a completely new tariff.

I don't want to give up my phone/text set-up as I have free O2-to-O2 calls, and texting UK mobiles from abroad just takes from my inclusive text allowance. As a result, even after two weeks abroad, my O2 bill is just 1/3 of what my normal UK-only bill used to be with Orange for donkey's years.

I rather like O2; the phone reception is nearly always excellent (far far better than Orange ever was from 1995-2008) and I'd rather stay with O2 full stop. I just need more than 1MB data if possible without jeopardising my phone tariff. However I've just looked at Tesco Mobile's SIM-only tariff and I'm flabbergasted: £15 gives 1000 mins, 5000(!) texts, 2GB data and just on a one-month contract. Tesco's roaming charges from calling from European are more than reasonable: 8p texts to UK, 7p per min incoming calls when roaming in Europe. Going with this Tesco deal would probably balance out the benefit of the free O2-to-O2 calls and the free overseas texting thing.

I would, however, rather stay with O2 if possible. So, with perhaps a bit too much extraneous background detail above (!), the main crux of the advice I'm seeking here is: How much would O2 CS bother listening to keep a £15-a-month SIM only customer of five years, and how likely is it that I would manage to get maybe 200 MB of data from them added onto my tariff? If they flatly refuse, I may for the time being just try using wifi when out and about; I have admittedly managed for five years with just 1MB a month. Or I may just get itchy feet and switch to Tesco, loathe as I would be to become a Tesco customer (but safe in the knowledge that I'd be able to keep my nigh-on faultless and very very satisfactory O2 network coverage).

Thanks very much for tips, and apologies for the prattling nature of this post!

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Of course you can, and any new discounted contract you sign up for will remain at that price for 12 months.

Just make sure you know what's included in any new deal.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Unfortunately this is o2s way of moving everyone into the latest tariffs:(

1mb is amazing haha.

Unfortunately O2 is rather uncompetitive with its international rates:(

Ill have a look see if I can find a suitable compromise for you.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 16

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks Liquid!

I was in Brighton "city" centre today and had a go at logging on to O2 wifi to register for first-time use, but no luck, even when standing at the O2 shop's window. The wifi signal kept going on and off. There was no signal whatsoever right outside McDonalds either. Might have better luck with BT wifi.

Looks like it'll be no fancy internet for me, and that I'll be forced to stick to minimal WAP text browsing until it goes the same way as Betamax video recorders. I've not had a single problem with O2 in the five years I've been a customer so I'd rather not jump ship too hastily, but that Tesco £15 thing looks tempting.

Do you know how open O2 customer services to negotiation about something as simple as adding a bit more data without me otherwise having to ditch my phone/text tarif? I'll try phoning them tomorrow and see what they say. I don't have much (if any) negotiating power seeing that I'm just on a £15 pay monthly SIM ...

Message 3 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Have you registered for O2 Wi-fi here:

http://o2wifi.co.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 16

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
At the end of the day your a customer. That should warrant enough power to negotiate(in an ideal world)

I'm really coming up short here with o2s options. Closet thing I can conceive is a simplicity or unlimited plan with a international bolt on. Your looking between £15-25 depending on what's included.

You can get rather good unlimited tariffs and including the international bolt on for £20 but unfortunately you can't get more than 1gb a month. (Sufficient for most)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You can get 2Gb on Simplicity for £25 on special offer (normally £31):

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity

Message 6 of 16

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I guess a good benifit to staying with O2 would be the ability to jump around sim types.

I mean whilst your in the uk go for an unlimited PAYG with the free O2-O2 calls unlimited txts. Then when your off abroad 48 hours before you go txt the sim swap line then you'd have an international sim for your time abroad.

(I believe there's no limit to the amount of times you can change tarif)

Best bit is your balance would always be transferred over with the tariff swap. (Minus any anniversary deal costs)
Message 7 of 16

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Good find perksie slight_smile

Tescos can jog on as far as I'm concerned:) haha
Message 8 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Some of the Simplicity offers expire soon:

On & On special offer (Expires 28/11/12). Our best value tariff.

Price includes £6 saving every month

Message 9 of 16

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
17p txt messages international (average)

Calls between 18ppm and £1.17pm

Not too bad actually. That's without adding in a international bolt on.
Message 10 of 16