cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Roaming Charges from US despite having Data Roaming OFF / Data Services disabled.

EvilDoctork
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently returned from the US and during that time my O2 SIM should not have been consuming any data.  I have a Dual SIM phone, the Mobile Data was active only on the other sim and Data Roaming was disabled on my O2 SIM in addition.

Normally this means nothing should be recorded 

However on my return from the US my most recent bill has small charges for Data ( around 15kb ) every day while I was there 

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-13 at 10.56.54.jpeg

Obviously the amount is not a big deal, but this shouldn't have happened 

My wife had a similar experience ( her phone is not Dual SIM but she had her Data Roaming disabled ) 

If it was just one of us I could put it down to user error ...   but with both of us it's unlikely  .. and even if it were user error how could you use as little as 3kb of data by accident.. had you turned it on it would burn through a lot more almost instantly.

What could be the issue here ? .. I've never had this problem before roaming anywhere else , nor in the US when roaming previously.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@EvilDoctork 

We are aware from other customers that there are issues in USA currently, however, we’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this
Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@EvilDoctork 

We are aware from other customers that there are issues in USA currently, however, we’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this
Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 10

EvilDoctork
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks .. will try that ... had a live chat on the O2 website where they really didn't want to do anything other than offer me a 'goodwill credit' .. Which is fine .. but I'd like to know that there's a problem and that I can trust it in the future.

Message 3 of 10

EvilDoctork
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 - FYI

I called up and got the charge refunded ( not that I care about that ) .. but didn't get much of an answer as to why it's happening .. the agent said she'd add the 'O2 Travel Inclusive Zone' bolt on for free, but I don't think she actually can as my tariff is too low so I think she was just talking nonsense really.

My wife however called up about her issue , got the charges refunded and the guy said it happens all the time .. particular issue in the US and Turkey apparently where charges are generated from 'non data' activity like the phone connecting to the mast  .. there is no solution other than leaving your phone on airplane mode which clearly is not a good solution at all   .. Not very satisfactory unfortunately 

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

Thanks for the feedback.

Message 5 of 10

CostaKathy
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve had the same problem as you on two separate trips to the US. It’s annoying and rather patronising when they tell you you probably used it accidentally but they’ll refund the charges. Interesting that someone admitted that this is a known problem. I agree that leaving it in airplane mode is not workable. I’m in conversation with them today getting them to refund the charges. I’d considered changing providers but that’s a hassle too. Maybe I’ll escalate it to “complaints review” and get their assurance that any unwarranted charges on my next trip will be refunded without question. Might even escalate the general problem to Ofcom or a national newspaper. Many users will have been caught out by this and not had the energy or inclination to query it. It must suit O2 quite well not to look into it. Anyway, rant over……

Message 6 of 10

LittleGuru
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is not US and Turkey but other countries as well. Even if the data is switched off, every time the phone is switched on, it silently pings/send sms to the service to activate whatever service is required etc. Usually happens with iPhones but if you use an android, there ain't any charges from my experience. Very poor service as 99% of the staff has no clue (Or don't want to admit to these charges).

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@LittleGuru 

Android phones are equally effected if they have visual voicemail enabled.

Message 8 of 10

LittleGuru
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Any way to turn the visual voicemail off? 🤔

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@LittleGuru 

Just dial 1760 to turn off VM completely or VVM can be disabled in settings to just leave standard VM.

Message 10 of 10