cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly being charged double for overseas SMS

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm being constantly charged double by O2 for overseas texts under 160 characters. Even when I sent message "That's fine. See you later" O2 charges me twice for the same text. I complained before and they credited overcharged amount back but then it happened again. I went to O2 shop where guy confirmed it should have not happened and asked me to contact Customer service. Do I have to contact them every bloody time when I sent text overseas until they fix it and make it right?
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just spoke to a lady from Customer Services and she informed me that their investigation confirmed that I had sent 27 text messages from my UK o2 phone to my cousin in Ireland in the last billing period. My phone displays 9 text messages to my cousins number. I have offered to give them my phone as I know that I have not deleted any text messages so their investigation is incorrect. They have refused to investigate this any further. So my options are; 

Daily Mail and other newspapers - from the volume of messages here I am surprised this has not already happened.

Ombudsman & Ofcom - investigation

It looks like this has been going on for over a year and in the last billing period alone I have, according to o2's records, sent 79 text messages to Ireland. My record which is my phone shows 1/3 of that number. Multiply that by 12 and that is serious over-billing on their part.

The customer service adviser also told me that I pay to read texts - I informed her that I do ot when I am in the UK.....

And she told me that I am using a iphone and that is the problem - I informed her that I am using a samsung which is recorded on my o2 account.

Clearly this was an indepth investigation.........good think that my contract is up for renewal! Off to the competitors I go!

Message 51 of 53

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144738 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

How long are each of your texts?
1 text is 160 characters, 161 to 320 is 2 texts and 321 to 480 is 3 texts.
You say you sent 9 and o2 say 27 which is 3 times the amount exactly so I'd guess all were over 320 characters?

I would check and make sure you are correct as you wouldn't want to be going to all those places you mention with the wrong info.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 52 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It is very rare that O2 vmake errors on billing. I tend to go with @MI5 on his thinking.

Message 53 of 53