cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly being charged double for overseas SMS

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm being constantly charged double by O2 for overseas texts under 160 characters. Even when I sent message "That's fine. See you later" O2 charges me twice for the same text. I complained before and they credited overcharged amount back but then it happened again. I went to O2 shop where guy confirmed it should have not happened and asked me to contact Customer service. Do I have to contact them every bloody time when I sent text overseas until they fix it and make it right?
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Right I've just spoken to very nice girl from CS and she advised that problem could be with iMessage as it will try to send the message first as iMessage and if it's not available on the other side it will resend it as a standard text. So now before I send a text overseas I will have to switch the iMessage off to see if it fixes the issue. Thank you all for comments and Happy New Year. I will post a feedback later on if switching iMessage has helped.

It won't help.  At least I am 99% sure it won't.

For those of you who don't use Apple stuff, (and I don't, although I do have an Apple ][ ), imessages are basically like an Apple version of whatsapp, the messages are sent over the user's internet connection, (wi-fi or mobile data)

However, the application has a fall-back to sms or mms if it fails to connect to their server, or if the receiving phone doesn't support imessage.

So I can understand how you might end up getting charged for a message that was sent as sms by the app's fall-back system, to ensure it got delivered, but how does that explain it being sent and billed twice?

Also, the phone displays imessages in a blue bubble, and sms in a green bubble, (I feel an idiot for even saying this, it's so dumb), so it should be pretty obvious what is being sent and how.

Astounded

Message 41 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Cleoriff wrote:

Oh I see...an iPhone issue then?.....:smileysad:

You're not exactly a fan of Apple, then, eh?  CrazyBouncy

Message 42 of 53

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144683 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
My thoughts too......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 43 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
@Cleoriff wrote:

Oh I see...an iPhone issue then?.....:smileysad:

You're not exactly a fan of Apple, then, eh?  CrazyBouncy

Me?? I will have you know I have been guided by the best on here...so no I am not..Fear

I have also lived through the frenzy of the iPhone 6 release...also on here....and that wouldn't be an experience worth repeating....(I shall hibernate next September) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 53

MI5
  • 144683 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

Yeah, @Anonymous you have yet to live through the inane launch of a new iPhone.....

Just you wait and see next year if you're still here LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 45 of 53

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Yeah, @Anonymous you have yet to live through the inane launch of a new iPhone.....

Just you wait and see next year if you're still here LOL

Take 3 months holiday....

Message 46 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem - I get many texts twice, and as I am charged for every text I receive from abroad, I get charged twice. Do 02 never respond to any of these questions? Are we delivering free customer service for them? I wanted to talk to a customer adviser, but it says on the site they're all busy. And has said so for the last hour or so.

Message 47 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You shouldn't be charged for any text you receive....Charged only if you are abroad and send them?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 48 of 53

MI5
  • 144683 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Call CS on the phone (not live chat) and they will reimburse you for them.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 49 of 53

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 50 of 53