cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly being charged double for overseas SMS

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm being constantly charged double by O2 for overseas texts under 160 characters. Even when I sent message "That's fine. See you later" O2 charges me twice for the same text. I complained before and they credited overcharged amount back but then it happened again. I went to O2 shop where guy confirmed it should have not happened and asked me to contact Customer service. Do I have to contact them every bloody time when I sent text overseas until they fix it and make it right?
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Also @Anonymous and @MI5 mine is set to GSM Alphabet and since the last update smileys such as 😆 are no longer converted to mms. That said I do get a warning to say that the 😆 might get corrupted on the recipient's device and to date the only person who has told me this happens gets a ? Instead of 😆
Which handset is it that doesn't display them correctly?
Message 31 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous  yes i may have sent a few smileys amungst the 20 texts, but sms are 40p too aswell as mms so are you saying each text would be 80p with the smileys - double? so confused?

No, no, I don't think it's that in your case - we have lost focus here a bit.

What handset are you using, and which country are you sending to?  Is the problem happening with every message or just some of them?

@Anonymous wrote:

anyway the number it says i was texting is one i have never seen before in my life....

OK, that's clearly wrong then.  Is this unknown number a UK one, or one abroad?

Message 32 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous  yes i may have sent a few smileys amungst the 20 texts, but sms are 40p too aswell as mms so are you saying each text would be 80p with the smileys - double? so confused?

anyway the number it says i was texting is one i have never seen before in my life....

Hi @Anonymous ....This is only something O2 CS can sort out with you. As we have said before we have no access to any accounts sadly. Please don't use Live Chat for any account based issues wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 53

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

JasmineAndrews wrote: 

It will most likely be the international SMS gateway number:

+447802000332 for Pay Monthly
or
+447802092035 for Pay & Go

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/text-message-settings

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

JasmineAndrews wrote: 

It will most likely be the international SMS gateway number:

+447802000332 for Pay Monthly
or
+447802092035 for Pay & Go

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/text-message-settings

Even if it was @MI5 ...why would the OP be charged twice?  Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 53

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
They shouldn't be unless the text was over 160 characters.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 36 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right I've just spoken to very nice girl from CS and she advised that problem could be with iMessage as it will try to send the message first as iMessage and if it's not available on the other side it will resend it as a standard text. So now before I send a text overseas I will have to switch the iMessage off to see if it fixes the issue. Thank you all for comments and Happy New Year. I will post a feedback later on if switching iMessage has helped.
Message 37 of 53

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Right I've just spoken to very nice girl from CS and she advised that problem could be with iMessage as it will try to send the message first as iMessage and if it's not available on the other side it will resend it as a standard text. So now before I send a text overseas I will have to switch the iMessage off to see if it fixes the issue. Thank you all for comments and Happy New Year. I will post a feedback later on if switching iMessage has helped.

Oh I see...an iPhone issue then?.....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope this works for you. Thank you for the update.

Another iPhone issue? Whatever next. ...
Message 40 of 53