Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete service breakdown after tariff change

WarrenB
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a sim-only pay monthly contract with O2. Recently it expired and I entered a new one with a different tariff.

Firstly, I was unable to connect to the network at all. I thought my sim had been deactivated and that I had to wait for a new one! I had to get onto a support livechat to even understand how to reset my network settings. It's embarassing and makes me look tech-illiterate, but it got me back onto the network. But that didn't improve my connection any.

Despite the O2 website declaring a strong signal for my postcode, my signal has been up and down like a yoyo. Bars appearing and disappearing completely before my eyes, in the space of minutes or seconds. Even in the moments when I have full bars, it's no guarantee of a connection. On most attempts my test calls to the home landline or family members disconnect before my phone even dials the number. Mobile data is the same: starting from nothing, rocketing up through E to H to full 4G, then back to nothing, almost before I can react. But unlike the phone signal I can't get online at all, even when I'm assured I've got a 4G connection.

I've tried resetting network connections, automatically selecting networks, manually selecting networks, turning the phone off and on again several times. I keep getting the same thing. It's extremely bizarre, all this from a simple tariff change. I didn't have problems like this when I switched from Pay As You Go to Pay Monthly, a couple of years ago. Is it because I have an older phone, a Galaxy Note 4? I can't understand why that should be so, it was working fine until my contract ran out.

This would be frustrating and irritating at the best of times, but I need a decent mobile data connection for parts of my job. What can be done? I can't keep on with this if my O2 connection is just going to play silly-beggars for the forseeable future.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@WarrenB 

I had a similar thing start to happen with my Note 4 (even after a battery change) It didn't happen after a tariff change though. I just had to give up on it. Lovely phone, lasted for years but it just got 'tired'.

I now have a Note 8 and it's still going strong.

Someone, with more technical knowledge than me, may come along with different advice but I would say it's the phone.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@WarrenB 

I had a similar thing start to happen with my Note 4 (even after a battery change) It didn't happen after a tariff change though. I just had to give up on it. Lovely phone, lasted for years but it just got 'tired'.

I now have a Note 8 and it's still going strong.

Someone, with more technical knowledge than me, may come along with different advice but I would say it's the phone.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@WarrenB 

Simple way to prove it is to try your sim in another phone.

If it works OK the phone has gone past it's best but if you get the same issue, just ask O2 or pop into any O2 store, for a new sim card.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

WarrenB
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Well now I'm kicking myself even harder. In livechats with two O2 staffers who wanted to know the model of my phone and neither brought it up...

You're both right. I tried the sim in another phone and it was alright. But the breakdown was sudden, and some coincidence with the contract change.
Thanks, all. It looks like it's time to take Ol' Yeller out behind the woodshed.
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
At least you know now...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Poor 'Ole Yeller'. I loved that phone as well. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It served us both very well slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote: