Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation for loss of network

Billyhalewood
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Will I get compensated for loss to my network not only have I been unable to use data also unable to make calls and text messages are taking ages to get through
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Billyhalewood Please read this from an excerpt of a BBC article:

Can I claim compensation?

Customers of O2 will be able to claim for any out-of-pocket expenses that resulted from being without their phone, according to consumer expert Helen Dewdney.

Ms Dewdney, who writes a blog called The Complaining Cow, said users should be able to claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that services should be carried out with reasonable skill and care.

That means customers would be able to claim a refund for what they would pay on a contract for the time they were without the use of the phone. They could also claim consequential loss due to breach of contract, for example, if they incurred bank charges because they were unable to move their money, or the cost of having to use a payphone.

This must be a genuine loss which can be proved with evidence. So, a taxi driver might be able to prove they lost out on fares owing to the shutdown, but other workers trying to claim a lost day of employment would struggle.

Ms Dewdney suggested phone users calculated their losses, and wrote to O2 with the evidence. They should state what they wanted as redress and mention the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

If they felt the response was unsatisfactory, it could be referred to Ombudsman Services: Communications of which O2 is a member. The customer would need to ask for a deadlock letter or wait eight weeks from the beginning of the complaint.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Billyhalewood Please read this from an excerpt of a BBC article:

Can I claim compensation?

Customers of O2 will be able to claim for any out-of-pocket expenses that resulted from being without their phone, according to consumer expert Helen Dewdney.

Ms Dewdney, who writes a blog called The Complaining Cow, said users should be able to claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that services should be carried out with reasonable skill and care.

That means customers would be able to claim a refund for what they would pay on a contract for the time they were without the use of the phone. They could also claim consequential loss due to breach of contract, for example, if they incurred bank charges because they were unable to move their money, or the cost of having to use a payphone.

This must be a genuine loss which can be proved with evidence. So, a taxi driver might be able to prove they lost out on fares owing to the shutdown, but other workers trying to claim a lost day of employment would struggle.

Ms Dewdney suggested phone users calculated their losses, and wrote to O2 with the evidence. They should state what they wanted as redress and mention the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

If they felt the response was unsatisfactory, it could be referred to Ombudsman Services: Communications of which O2 is a member. The customer would need to ask for a deadlock letter or wait eight weeks from the beginning of the complaint.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
I would note that a business user must be on business contract, a business on a consumer contract may find themselves in breach of contract.

And a days use of line rental works out at about 35p - 45p (30 days / Cost of Line Rental - VAT)
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

rockabye
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Depending on the circumstances, it may be appropriate for your provider to offer you some money back while repairs are being carried out. You can raise this with O2 over the phone, online chat or on social media now, though be aware lines will be extremely busy.

In more extreme cases, where repairs take much longer (for example it takes longer than usual to access a mast site to undertake repairs), you may be entitled to an additional refund or account credit.

In cases where you have been without service for some time, you may also have the right to leave the contract without penalty. There may be a term in your contract saying you can do this if your provider has failed in its obligations to you or breached a key condition.

Furthermore, if you're forced to incur any extra charges because of the outage, such as having to pay for public wifi, you can complain to your provider and ask for compensation to cover those unexpected expenses.

How do I complain?

If your provider fails to repair a fault by the date promised, or you are unhappy with how long it is taking, you should follow their internal complaints procedure. You can get in touch with O2 here, although it's worth waiting for the service to be back up and running, first.

If you raise a case but it's still unresolved, or solved without good reason, you can submit your complaint to an independent Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme after eight weeks.

If your problem cannot be resolved, ask your provider for a ‘deadlock’ letter so that you can refer your dispute to the relevant ADR scheme directly before the eight week mark.

Ofcom has approved two ADR schemes - CISAS and Ombudsman Services: Communications.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post @Bambino

Message 5 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

So now I know what to put in my stinking letter....yes you've guessed what I'm sending Whistle

Message 6 of 8

AndriusDo
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous

He just did a copy-paste from bbc.co.uk...

Message 7 of 8

DanielPA
  • 52 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for reporting issues with the network. As others have mentioned above, we have an official topic about this so we're locking this thread to keep the conversation in one please. Please use this thread for updates and to share your feedback. 

Thanks, 

The community team. 

Message 8 of 8