cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for a contract I haven't started yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the process of moving from EE to O2. I preordered the new iPhone 6s in a Carphone Warehouse store last week and was given my SIM card on the spot, but will obviously collect the phone on release day. The SIM card hasn't been inserted into any other phone yet but I have already downloaded and signed into the "My O2" app.

The app is telling me that I have a bill "available to view tomorrow"... does this mean I'll get charged for a bill for the month of September for a phone I haven't even received + a contract I haven't started using yet????

Very confused here, I don't want to have a montly bill taken from my account before I've even used my new phone???

Any help or similar experiences would be useful. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You have to pay a month in advance so the bill produced now will be for next months use.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You have to pay a month in advance so the bill produced now will be for next months use.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can they charge a month in advance without knowing my usage for that month? For example if I went over my data??

Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How can they charge a month in advance without knowing my usage for that month? For example if I went over my data??

This will be a bill without extra usage. Purely for the basic cost of the contract.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Just your base contract price. Any extras will be added to next months bill + another months basic contract.
Every network is the same.....

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
ps, you can't go over on data. It just stops unless you buy an additional bolt on.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Welcome to O2.... I got charged for the days my SIM was in the post... After 3+ weeks of back and forth O2 have yet to correct the issue (even though they agreed every time). Welcome to O2!!!
Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You'll likely get a correction on your next bill.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Apparently if you call cs and you've been charged any extra for the time you didn't have the phone they'll refund those days! But as above you're actually paying for next month's base amount.

It's the same with all phone companies tbh, they all try and squeeze that little bit extra out of us.

Call 202 once the phone is in your hands and ask for clarification.
Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
It's the same with all phone companies tbh, they all try and squeeze that little bit extra out of us.

Actually, accounts are activated immediately so you can start using it immediately, not to rip anyone off.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14