Did you mean: 

Cellular Data Settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had read on a thread about changing my Celluar data settings to:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: Bypass
Password: Password

This was because when I attempted to stream any videos through 4G, the quality was poor. Yet when connected to a mobile broadband device (the network being three), video quality was perfect. I have read different reasons why but the most common being something to do with O2 compressing?

Anyway, this change in settings has done the trick. However, I would like to know if this will have any effects on my tariff, data usage etc.

I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but this is my first ever post, so any help on that front is welcome too.

Cheers.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Don't worry, the settings will have n o affect on your tariff at all. Data usage will remain the same.

Glad it helps you slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Don't worry, the settings will have n o affect on your tariff at all. Data usage will remain the same.

Glad it helps you slight_smile

Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Welcome to the community. Welcome

Well done on searching yourself for the answer to your problem re settings. As jonsie says it will  not affect data usage at all....just allow your phone to work more efficiently wink

As for information re posting on the forum, you are in the right place as you are either pay monthly or payg.

If you had asked how to get the settings we would have needed information on the type of phone etc

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are a friendly bunch on here  Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting couple of comments here.

So are we saying that if we used bypass instead of o2 our data use would not be compressed and so our picture quality would be better?
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

And @piperdog123, that seem to be the case with me.
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yes, you will actually use more data as the data is no longer being compressed by O2 servers.
The whole point of the compression is to reduce the amount of data that is consumed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It certainly works for a lot of people but it's not widely known or something that O2 give any information about.

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent stuff
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous Glad you found the answers useful. Please remember to mark a post as your solution if you found one! You can find that button on each reply you receive.

Message 9 of 9