cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling a Volt O₂ sim as a result of Virgin Media Price Rises - 02 want to charge me! Grrrr

swattz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As a result of the changes to my terms & conditions, I was given the opportunity to cancel my Virgin Media and Volt O₂ sim.
They claimed that there would be no cancellation fees:
"you can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 4th April 2023, without paying any cancellation fees".

However, when I contacted O₂ today, they were adamant that they would change me, even though the words "without paying any cancellation fees" were clearly stated in the Email from Virgin \ O₂.

Now, like most people who have a mobile phone, I want to take my phone number with me and this is apparently what they are charging me for. So, in effect, they have completely mislead customers, because "any" means "any" - except if you're O₂.

I believe that O₂ must honour their statement and allow customers, like me, who have been given the opportunity to leave "without any cancellation fees" to do so. It could be claimed that they are in-fact advertising a fraud, as they clear are charging a fee for cancelling.

How can I get Virgin / O₂ to honour their own statement?
What is my next move?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

sdcrichy
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks, i'll get onto them in and see what happens and come back with what they say.

Message 31 of 49

sdcrichy
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok all sorted, thanks for your help,. phoned O2 and after telling them about the email from virgin plus that i had cancelled virginmedia package, they said would cancel the O2 volt sim after 30 days, then no fee's to pay for cancelling. slight_smile

Message 32 of 49

Jacks-Grandma
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Virgin and o2 sending me from Pillar to post. I have been hours over 2 days trying to cancel my o2 volt sim. The letter is super clear but both virgin and o2 are refusing to cancel the account. O2 threatening to charge a huge 281 pounds. This is terrible and really needs fixing. Virgin call centre staff even refused to log a complaint.

Message 33 of 49

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7768 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1641 Solutions

The Broadband has to be cancelled first and Virgin need to contact O2 so the standard 14 day cancellation period can be overridden.

Sorry to say Virgin are at fault here if they won't do that.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 34 of 49

Jacks-Grandma
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your kind advice. 

I cancelled the full virgin media package 3 days ago. I have phoned virgin several times and they have put me through to the special o2 area. However 3 times the call suspiciously cut off when I explained to o2 I wanted to cancel.

The other times o2 simply refused to cancel without applying an over 280 cancellation fee.

I read the forum in detail yesterday tried to apply all the advice included.

Message 35 of 49

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7768 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1641 Solutions

@Jacks-Grandma 

Answered in your other post

Keep an eye out in the morning.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 36 of 49

MandyJ2
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am trying to cancel my virgin media O2 sim after cancelling VM. I have called 4 times to O2 and been passed from pillar to post, on this call have spoken to 4 different people, currently waiting for 5th but think I have been cut off after asking to speak to a manager, can’t blame all this on VM, o2 have been shocking with their lack of customer service! 

Message 37 of 49

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11264 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@MandyJ2 

Virgin should have transferred you to o2 and I believe to a queue in o2, that can deal with this as Virgin have to confirm that you have cancelled your Virgin Account. 

I would try getting back through to VM Customer Services, and asking them to transfer you through..  Virgins Call Centres are very good at not doing what they should be doing... 

Maybe if people didn't verbally abuse customers, and o2 paid more then more people would work for them...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 38 of 49

MandyJ2
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did go through VM first couple times but it didn’t help. Going to try VM again tomorrow when I’ve got a spare few hours! 

Message 39 of 49

MichaelR2
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It looks like my o2 SIM has now been cancelled, following my complaint to Virgin Media (I can no longer access My o2 via the app, logging in on the computer shows I have no products, and logging in to My Virgin Media shows that they notice I've left my o2 contract...)

My complaint still shows as open on the Virgin Media dashboard though and nobody from either Virgin Media or o2 has told me what's going on. I'll obviously be relieved if the SIM has finally been cancelled fee-free in line with the email from Virgin Media. I'll not be impressed if anyone tries to send me a final bill with a large early disconnection fee though! Guess I will have to phone in to see what is happening...

Message 40 of 49