cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling a Volt O₂ sim as a result of Virgin Media Price Rises - 02 want to charge me! Grrrr

swattz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As a result of the changes to my terms & conditions, I was given the opportunity to cancel my Virgin Media and Volt O₂ sim.
They claimed that there would be no cancellation fees:
"you can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 4th April 2023, without paying any cancellation fees".

However, when I contacted O₂ today, they were adamant that they would change me, even though the words "without paying any cancellation fees" were clearly stated in the Email from Virgin \ O₂.

Now, like most people who have a mobile phone, I want to take my phone number with me and this is apparently what they are charging me for. So, in effect, they have completely mislead customers, because "any" means "any" - except if you're O₂.

I believe that O₂ must honour their statement and allow customers, like me, who have been given the opportunity to leave "without any cancellation fees" to do so. It could be claimed that they are in-fact advertising a fraud, as they clear are charging a fee for cancelling.

How can I get Virgin / O₂ to honour their own statement?
What is my next move?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

koolmacher
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can someone inform o2 that this virgin has absolved themselves all responsibility regarding cancelling the volt o2 sim and say you have to contact o2 directly to cancel it under the mid contract price rises however o2 remain adamant that there are early termination charges when there isn't. I wasted a full morning getting passed back and forth between virgin and o2 and the best I got was I had to contact o2 for a credit refund on my account 14 days after I have transferred my number to clear the early termination charges that are automatically applied it's farcical and should be illegal!

Message 11 of 49

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11485 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

o2 Terms and Conditions are quite clear im afraid @koolmacher that are no rights to cancel mid contract as per the Pay Monthly Terms and Conditions, which is what was agreed to you when you took out the contract.  There are no special terms for customers who have got a bundle from VM. 

The Problem is Virgin have sent out an email, stating things that are incorrect, hence o2 are standing firm, and to be fair the Virgin Media side of the VMo2 should be putting it right, but they have buried there heads in the sand and are doing anything about it. 

Who told you to contact o2 after 14 days to get a refund, as I have a feeling its BS, from Virgin if it was them who said it, as o2 wont refund anything as then ETF is payable. 

I would start a complaint to Virgin via 0345 454 1111 or the Webform on Virgin's website and see what they have to say, you are in for a fight I am afraid to say. 

Make sure you have a copy of both contracts, and the incorrect email to hand.

Good Luck...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 12 of 49

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hi @swattz wave so what some others here have stated is correct, the cancellation does need to originate from VM, which I know you said you had contacted them first. 

Customers who have taken a bundled Volt Sim package through Virgin Media do have Right to Cancel due to the Cable price increases. In this scenario the only way that the O2 SIM can be cancelled without cost is if the VM package is fully cancelled first. The VM team should pass the customer into the relevant O2 channel to then process the O2 cancellation.

Since you have done this process, please reach out to O2 on social media so that they can take a look from there Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG).
Message 13 of 49

swattz
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

luckily for Me, O2Sarah  took care of my situation and gave me excellent customer service, through using her discretion. My wife is still an O2 customer, so it's good to know that she's still in good hands 🙂

Message 14 of 49

swattz
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, O2 Emma, looked into the situation and has resolved it to my satisfaction. SO I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their comments. Common sense and decency prevailed and one thing I have always made absolutely clear, when on the phone, is that it is not personal and I empathised with the O2 employee who felt she had to act within very strict guidelines because she and her team were not informed of that actual situation regarding cancellations. Thankfully forums like this one were the best route to take which is why I'm so grateful to all.

What is clear is that Virgin and O2 needs to agree a consistent approach to these issues as they risk alienating customers 

Thank you
(PS My wife is still an O2 customer,  so maybe you haven't seen the last of me!)

Message 15 of 49

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Thanks for the update @swattz. Good to hear!

Message 16 of 49

swattz
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Breana, I've also added your advice to the Virgin Community Page, as this issue originates from Virgin and affects Virgin Customers who took the Volt O2 sim. 
You advice should now help many more customers 🙂

Message 17 of 49

koolmacher
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BreannaI have a cancellation ordering with virgin just running down the 30 days notice do virgin then let O2 know that the cancellation is underway? 

Message 18 of 49

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

@koolmacher If you're referencing a cancellation under the same terms as @swattz, yes that is what should happen. If you contact O2 through the social media links in my previous post, they should be able to help you resolve this or understand what's taking place with the cancellation that's been initiated.

Message 19 of 49

koolmacher
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes it's the same terms as swattz I received a printed letter from Virgin confirming I can cancel penalty free, I'm glad someone from O2 is upto speed on what's going on with virgin! 

Message 20 of 49