cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling a Volt O₂ sim as a result of Virgin Media Price Rises - 02 want to charge me! Grrrr

swattz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As a result of the changes to my terms & conditions, I was given the opportunity to cancel my Virgin Media and Volt O₂ sim.
They claimed that there would be no cancellation fees:
"you can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 4th April 2023, without paying any cancellation fees".

However, when I contacted O₂ today, they were adamant that they would change me, even though the words "without paying any cancellation fees" were clearly stated in the Email from Virgin \ O₂.

Now, like most people who have a mobile phone, I want to take my phone number with me and this is apparently what they are charging me for. So, in effect, they have completely mislead customers, because "any" means "any" - except if you're O₂.

I believe that O₂ must honour their statement and allow customers, like me, who have been given the opportunity to leave "without any cancellation fees" to do so. It could be claimed that they are in-fact advertising a fraud, as they clear are charging a fee for cancelling.

How can I get Virgin / O₂ to honour their own statement?
What is my next move?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Hugo31
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I also have an issue with o2 , I cancels my Virgin media before it started the was passed to o2 to cancel , yet I have nothing from o2 no account number paper work email or txts ! So apparently I can’t cancel because I can’t get verified yet they took £25 from me for nothing! Now cancels direct debiit. I can see a small claims court opening to o2 if not resolved! I gave my details to Virgin 

Message 41 of 49

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7824 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

Cancelling Your Direct Debit will get your account passed to Debt Recovery quicker than you can get to the small claims court

I'll ask an advisor to take a look at this

@O2Emma can you help

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 42 of 49

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Enlli I will pick this up thanks.

Hi @Hugo31 I will send you a private message to look into this for you.

signature
Message 43 of 49

HR95
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am having this exact issue. O2 want to charge me a fee despite the initial email from VM saying there would be no fee. I have cancelled VM successfully. Spoken to 3 separate call centre operators and when the last one offered to transfer me I got disconnected. I've been trying this for 3 hours and have only until tomorrow to cancel. 

Message 44 of 49

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11467 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@HR95 

You need to get Virgin to put you through to o2, as they need to inform o2 that you can cancel due to the changes VM have put in place. 

If you go direct to o2 they have no knowledge of the Virgin Changes, and they are correct to say you will be charged. 

You will need to call Virgin again on 0345 454 1111 and be insistent, they know the policy and process, so no excuses from them

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 45 of 49

HR95
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the response. Of course when I cancelled my VM they said I had to go directly to O2 to sort. How frustrating! 

Message 46 of 49

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11467 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

Typical VM customer service I am afraid 😞 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 47 of 49

HR95
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Spoke to VM and got put through to O2 who said they've been getting so many calls about this and VM isn't communicating with them at all! Ended up just paying the termination fee because I don't have time or mental capacity to fight this anymore. 

Message 48 of 49

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7824 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

Looking at the Virgin Mobile Forum I get the impression they have all but given up and are awaiting their final closure late December 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 49 of 49