Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Account early - no charges.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Looking for for some advice please. 

My telephone bank account was hacked by a fraudster and a significant amount of money cleaned out. The fraud team there listened to the calls and based on the conversations recorded believe that my o2 account 'may' be the source of the breach. 'May' as in strong circumstantial evidence but not direct.

When I contacted o2 customer services initially they refused to assist. Wouldn't even check my account, or help change security or offer to escalate to be investigated.  After filling out an escalation form I got a phone call with an apology but still no real acknowledgment that there could be an issue.

Im now concerned I've got over a year left on a contract with a company who could have been subject to a data breech but are not that bothered about investigating as my o2 account is unaffected. 

I cant leave without incurring a massive charge.  Do I have any options? The data bit aside the customer service from o2 has been appalling at points.  Does that give me grounds to cancel? Would I get any where with the ombudsmen? 

Hope someone one can help.

regards

Paul. 

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

Hi Paul, 

I have a been a victim of this type of thing myself, and can offer the following advice. 

Your bank wont provide much information, least of all any company name they think could be the cause of the breach, as if unproven could lead to legal action against the bank and scaremongering.  If it is a fraud case then you will get your money back from the bank, mine bank took 7 days to be refunded to me, 

In the case of o2, you have no grounds to cancel your account, as unfortunatley poor CS is not a reason to leave , you also have no firm evidence that o2 is the source of the breach, have you had an account with 3 or talk talk, as both have been subject ot major data breaches recently. 

It's not that difficult to get peoples bank details these days, if i was a neferious person, every day on my commute to and from work, i could make notes of peoples card numbers , cvv, and expiry dates and names, as people shout them out on the train... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

Hi Paul, 

I have a been a victim of this type of thing myself, and can offer the following advice. 

Your bank wont provide much information, least of all any company name they think could be the cause of the breach, as if unproven could lead to legal action against the bank and scaremongering.  If it is a fraud case then you will get your money back from the bank, mine bank took 7 days to be refunded to me, 

In the case of o2, you have no grounds to cancel your account, as unfortunatley poor CS is not a reason to leave , you also have no firm evidence that o2 is the source of the breach, have you had an account with 3 or talk talk, as both have been subject ot major data breaches recently. 

It's not that difficult to get peoples bank details these days, if i was a neferious person, every day on my commute to and from work, i could make notes of peoples card numbers , cvv, and expiry dates and names, as people shout them out on the train... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144189 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You would need evidence of a security breach on your o2 account before the fraud team will look at it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3