cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canary Wharf 3G 4G coverage ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am based in Canary Wharf and find very limited ( non existant ) 3g or 4g coverage.  Seeing as this area is the home of o2 you would expect decent 4g coverage.

I have Pixel xl 2 are others from this area experincing this issue?   o2 do have wifi hotspots here which are accessible in some parts but not all, inside buildings there is no hope for 4g.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous I’m a very recent returnee to O2 having been elsewhere since 2009. I agree that the most important thing about any mobile service is the ability to receive and use a signal. O2 have struggled in this area perhaps more so than the others due to factors beyond their control but are implementing solutions such as reallocation of legacy 2G frequencies 1800mHz and some 3G 2100mHz frequencies. 

They’re also hoping (the last time I heard anyway) to acquire some extra allocation in the 2300mHz spectrum. I think this will all come together to get O2 network wise to where it needs to be. 

I live in Barry, South Wales where O2 is overall adequate rather than brilliant. But there is progress in and around the Cardiff area where a weak to mediocre 4G signal has been improved to good to very good. 

EE are network wise certainly better overall in my area..

But that difference is becoming less and less as time goes on. Canary Wharf has been an historic vortex for all networks in the past and I can remember Vodafone subscribers forming a lynch mob because of the issues. O2 are making a considerable effort to sort out coverage/capacity issues and I’d think twice about ditching them if that location is the only issue you’re experiencing. EE I can promise you also have their black spots as do Vodafone. And their respective support (with a very honourable exception!) isn’t a patch on O2. Abruptness, rudeness, sarcasm, infractions, banning and cheap point-scoring are the order of the day, issues that don’t exist here.

If you feel you got to go then fair enough.

But just make sure you use any trial period with your new network to ensure it works properly where you want it to and when you want it to.

Message 11 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Excellent explanation and advice @Skyhawk1010 Thanks for that wink

Of course it's all down to where you live and the expectations you have when taking out a contract. They are not cheap nowadays and we would always recommend trying a few PAYG sims to see what network provides the best coverage for you.

We found that some people, when they moved providers after the demise of Tu got a much better coverage with a new network.  In other words staying loyal to O2 wasn't an option. If you are paying a massive amount for a service, the very least you can expect is that it works well most of the time.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 13

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks very much for that. 

Message 13 of 13