cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canary Wharf 3G 4G coverage ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am based in Canary Wharf and find very limited ( non existant ) 3g or 4g coverage.  Seeing as this area is the home of o2 you would expect decent 4g coverage.

I have Pixel xl 2 are others from this area experincing this issue?   o2 do have wifi hotspots here which are accessible in some parts but not all, inside buildings there is no hope for 4g.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
You've got a two way battle here. First is the huge demand for networks all over London
Second is the limited bandwidth open to O2 thanks to some failings with the allocation of 4G spectrum a while back. O2 ended up with the least bandwidth of all the operators back in 2013. All is not lost however because O2 is very busy indeed refarming out frequencies used in previous. 1800mHz for example with is something 02 used back in it's Cellnet days to improve capacity has been totally refarmed out to 4G. It is also working on switching over a lot the 2100mHz over to 4G as well. O2 could also gain a nice chunk of the new 2300 mHz frequency that Ofcom have recently allocated to 4G. If that does happen then the bandwidth issues will be well on the way to be solved. Of course there is less of an issue with EE as things stand now but they've got a huge chunk of bandwidth available to them from the start.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous You can use this link to check if there are any mast problems in the area: http://status.o2.co.uk/

Unfortunately, signals within specific buildings aren't controllable by any mobile network, but by the construction of the buildings themselves.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousI don't live in Canary Wharf ....though I know  heavily congested areas of London struggle to get a decent signal at certain times. If you download the My Network app you could report it through that https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I thought Slough was the home of O2 ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 you are indeed correct ! another area i am very farmiliar with.  I ment as in the o2 arena next door to Cwharf.

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Bambino much appreciated.  All masts seem to be fine slight_smile

Problem seems to be with o2 only.  My business line which is EE does not suffer the same problem 4g all day long on that, my colleague on Vodaphone same thing 4g always.

I know its not my device as i suffered the same issue on previous phones.. thanks for the reply

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Ah, I see what you mean.
Problem is all over London and other big cities too unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @Bambino much appreciated.  All masts seem to be fine slight_smile

Problem seems to be with o2 only.  My business line which is EE does not suffer the same problem 4g all day long on that, my colleague on Vodaphone same thing 4g always.

I know its not my device as i suffered the same issue on previous phones.. thanks for the reply

Well @Anonymous, I presume your O2 line is your personal one, so if you get a good signal with EE, and Vodafone also does, maybe it's time to ditch O2 completely, unless you get a good signal elsewhere, or you feel some undying allegiance to them. Obviously whatever time remains on your contract must be considered, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be many reasons for you to stay a customer.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

other option would be to change jobs !  Dont fancy doing that one.  You are right, other than o2 priorities there is not much reason to stay with o2 at all.  3 month contract countdown to expiry begins ...

Message 9 of 13

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
You've got a two way battle here. First is the huge demand for networks all over London
Second is the limited bandwidth open to O2 thanks to some failings with the allocation of 4G spectrum a while back. O2 ended up with the least bandwidth of all the operators back in 2013. All is not lost however because O2 is very busy indeed refarming out frequencies used in previous. 1800mHz for example with is something 02 used back in it's Cellnet days to improve capacity has been totally refarmed out to 4G. It is also working on switching over a lot the 2100mHz over to 4G as well. O2 could also gain a nice chunk of the new 2300 mHz frequency that Ofcom have recently allocated to 4G. If that does happen then the bandwidth issues will be well on the way to be solved. Of course there is less of an issue with EE as things stand now but they've got a huge chunk of bandwidth available to them from the start.
Message 10 of 13