cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer SEND or REPLY to email via O2 network

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I assume many people here do - I use my smartphone (iPhone) to have email function when away from my home broadband connection - has worked perfectly well for years. It seems something significant has occurred in recent days/weeks and O2 seems to have closed access to my ISP's SMTP server - in fact I have been advised by my ISP that this now applies to a large swathe of ISPs. Please tell me this is not correct! I have also learned that O2 have closed down their own smtp service (smtp.o2.co.uk) - so I cannot use that as alternative to relay my outgoing email when using their network.
Being able to take my email service with me is one of the most crucial functions of the iPhone and reason I purchased it. I cannot believe O2 would remove an essential service like this without even warning their customers. Outrageous!
...is anyone else actually having success sending email using their ISP email settings via O2 network? if so - please shout out.
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You're going to need to use another e mail set up I believe.

I use iCloud , Hotmail and Yahoo
and change any sites / forums and businesses that contact you via email.

O2 contacted people to let them know services were being transferred to Sky and that anyone just using an email address , without broadband services would have to source elsewhere v

The staggered close down then started.

Info as advised in your previous thread ;

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Home-Broadband-Home-Phone/O2-SMTP-OUTAGE/m-p/695145#M70725
Message 2 of 50

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This is the third thread started by the op about O2 email services. Previous advice given is still relevant I would imagine as they were all posted in July?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
With all due respect I received no such communication from O2... besides I did not have an O2 email account - maybe that explains why. The point is that O2 would be fully aware that a large number of their customer base would be using their devices to connect to other email services and clearly it is these customers who have been left in the dark. Suggestions in other thread have been to use alternative smtp server - I ALWAYS did - the smtp.o2.co.uk server was always set up on device as secondary server on my iPhones - my ISP smtp was the one that functioned perfectly well as primary smtp server. This is NOT simply a case of O2 pulling their own server - they have also pulled plug on access to our own ISP's SMTP service.
Message 4 of 50

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
with all due respect I received no such communication from O2

I can't argue with that of course...but I do know that community members on here told you exactly what had happened with O2 mail..?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I in no way am insinuating you have not.

O2 posted on the internet about the closure , and movement to sky.

I think they mailed customers too.
Message 6 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
see my revised previous reply
Message 7 of 50

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Added to that @Anonymous the Op was informed on 3 occasions via different threads about O2 mail closure and what needed to be done...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
As fellow customers we can only sympathise with your current situation and wish you well.
Message 9 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your link refers to document on O2's Irish website (was it published on the co.uk site too?) - besides it talks purely about users of O2 email - it does not comment at all regards people accessing their own ISP's SMTP service
Message 10 of 50