cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer SEND or REPLY to email via O2 network

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I assume many people here do - I use my smartphone (iPhone) to have email function when away from my home broadband connection - has worked perfectly well for years. It seems something significant has occurred in recent days/weeks and O2 seems to have closed access to my ISP's SMTP server - in fact I have been advised by my ISP that this now applies to a large swathe of ISPs. Please tell me this is not correct! I have also learned that O2 have closed down their own smtp service (smtp.o2.co.uk) - so I cannot use that as alternative to relay my outgoing email when using their network.
Being able to take my email service with me is one of the most crucial functions of the iPhone and reason I purchased it. I cannot believe O2 would remove an essential service like this without even warning their customers. Outrageous!
...is anyone else actually having success sending email using their ISP email settings via O2 network? if so - please shout out.
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't checked back on previous threads, but can I ask two questions so we have somewhere to start helping with:

1) What is the last part of your email address that doesn't work, ie after the "@" symbol?

2) Which iPhone and version of iOS are you using?

Once we know this we can possibly find the correct settings for you.

Message 21 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eh?
Message 22 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
@dsl.pipex.com

iPhone 4s iOS 7.1.1 (my partner has same problem with her 5c using same iOS
Message 23 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Newest is iOS 7.1.2
Message 24 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I fully realise newest iOS as of a few days ago is 7.1.2 but my issue is unrelated - have spoken to Apple about it and there is nothing on the update relating to email.
Message 25 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Originally I was with Pipex in order to get away from the awful Tiscali... then as bad luck would have it a year or two later Tiscali took over Pipex for a short period of time to then be taken over by TalkTalk... we, as customers, being traded as chips on a poker table as usual in the modern age of "business".
Message 26 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try these settings:

Server Name: pop.dsl.pipex.com
Connection Type: POP3 or IMAP4
Port: 110 for POP3 or 143 for IMAP
Authentication Type: Plaintext Password
SSL (Secure Socket Layer or Encryption): Disabled
SPA (Secure Password Authentication): Disabled (or clear text)
Username: Your e-mail address
Password: Your mailbox password

Outgoing:

Server: smtp.dsl.pipex.com
Port: 25
SSL (Secure Socket Layer or Encryption): Disabled
SPA (Secure Password Authentication): Disabled (or clear text)
Authentication: Required
Authentication Type: Plaintext password
Username: Your e-mail address
Password: Your mailbox password
Message 27 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Already tried... incidentally port 995 on incoming server have found to be more reliable than 110. My smtp server is password authenticated hence "smtpauth" in server name that I have historically used. The issue is something has changed at O2 network/ISP "interface" regards posting smtp mail - either a plug has accidentally been kicked out of a wall in a server room somewhere (maybe someone pulled it out to plug in a room fan - it has been warm weather recently...) or, joking aside, the network have contrived to sever smtp links for cellular users.
Message 28 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anybody viewing this thread successfully using POP3 mail (SENDING mail specifically) using a TT or Pipex email account whilst using O2 data connection? If so, please can we compare settings?
Message 29 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
After an inspirational bit of lateral thinking (and many hours over the last week getting fobbed-off by O2 and my ISP) I think I've cracked it. Need a few days to be sure it is permanent fix.
Message 30 of 50