cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer SEND or REPLY to email via O2 network

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I assume many people here do - I use my smartphone (iPhone) to have email function when away from my home broadband connection - has worked perfectly well for years. It seems something significant has occurred in recent days/weeks and O2 seems to have closed access to my ISP's SMTP server - in fact I have been advised by my ISP that this now applies to a large swathe of ISPs. Please tell me this is not correct! I have also learned that O2 have closed down their own smtp service (smtp.o2.co.uk) - so I cannot use that as alternative to relay my outgoing email when using their network.
Being able to take my email service with me is one of the most crucial functions of the iPhone and reason I purchased it. I cannot believe O2 would remove an essential service like this without even warning their customers. Outrageous!
...is anyone else actually having success sending email using their ISP email settings via O2 network? if so - please shout out.
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was searching around for the official line from O2 and the situation back in November last year regarding the close down of the e mail service ,and migration of broadband to Sky. Ignore the link which I pulled. slight_smile

As @Cleoriff has stated the info needed ref the situation has been given to you in your previous threads.

We as customers can do no more.
Message 11 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was already using an "alternative" email service in case someone has missed the big point here. The situation put as simply as possible, is that when using 3G network I can no longer connect to my ISP's SMTP server - a function I had for several years. My ISP, meanwhile, confirm that my SMTP settings are all fine and dandy... A "barrier" of some kind has therefore been implemented - this goes beyond O2 simply closing down their "O2" email service (a service I never actually subscribed to in the first place)
Message 12 of 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Nothing wrong with my email SMTP server - who are you using?
POP or IMAP?
What port are you on?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have always used POP3... my smtp server address is smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com - port 25. Have tried ports 26 and 587 as alternatives in case the network had decided to block port 25 - no joy. Who are you with?
Message 14 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did interrogate my ISP for alternative smtp addresses too - have tried them - no joy either.
Message 15 of 50

MI5
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

I would be looking to use 587 and No SSL or authentication.
I can confirm that port 587 is still open as I am using it currently.

Edit: Virgin, Talk Talk & Google.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
The fact is that my settings work FINE when connected through my wifi network at home - sending email - no problem. So that proves the settings are correct. The fly in the ointment is clearly the O2 network - for reasons I am clearly at a loss to find.
Message 17 of 50

MI5
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
I assume that is because it is going through your talktalk router?

Currently using:
Message 18 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see TalkTalk is one of your ISPs... well TT own Pipex as you may know...
Forgot to mention SSL off, of course.
Message 19 of 50

MI5
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
I honestly assumed you had been pulled into talktalk too?

Currently using:
Message 20 of 50