Did you mean: 

Can I do this?

TriggerFail
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I’m currently 10 months into my 36 month refresh contract with 02, I have an iPhone XS and have always been an Apple user but honestly the battery life and lack of technological advancement from Apple has me wanting to change to android. If I was to sell my iPhone XS to music magpie as an unlocked device (I have already got confirmation from 02 it’s unlocked not long after I got the phone through my 02 app) could I sell it to them, use the money to buy another phone and keep paying my contract as normal?

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@TriggerFail 

We can't advise that you do that as the refresh T&C's state you must pay off the device plan before you sell it, however, you could use the money to pay it off immediately and then upgrade to a new phone on refresh.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can as long as you carry on paying the contract.

However, technically, the finance company still own the phone unless you pay it off in full if you are on a Refresh contract.

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@TriggerFail 

We can't advise that you do that as the refresh T&C's state you must pay off the device plan before you sell it, however, you could use the money to pay it off immediately and then upgrade to a new phone on refresh.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

TriggerFail
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for responding

Its a shame but I do understand that, I would happily do that but at best I’d get £600 for my device and there’s still nearly £800 owing
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 would know that you changed device as the IMEI number would be registering on your account so you do need to make sure you do it the correct way.

Message 5 of 8

TriggerFail
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately I’ll just have to wait until my device becomes worth more than the buyout, don’t want to cause issues with my contract
Message 6 of 8

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I know it in TC not to but I did sell my s9+ in March and not had no probs
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics