Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blocked access to websites.

Xeno
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Having access to my VPN provider whilst using my 02 mobile is ridiculous. VPN use is advisable when accessing banking and other sensitive sites. I use one for all the connected devices at home via my WiFi access. To have a block on the website that I subscribe to is unacceptable. I was not able to activate the installed VPN that I use due to a problem with my password. Fortunately I'd saved it in my password vault. That being said, I pay monthly and don't expect or appreciate my access to certain sites that do not contain illegal content being actively blocked by a company I pay money to. My contract ends very soon, and I will not commit myself or my wallet to a company that behaves like it's based in North Korea.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144653 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@Xeno 

Not sure I fully understand your issue but have you tried removing 18+ restriction from your account?

Guide: O2 Age restriction 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23147 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Xeno It may be the VPN blocking the site, not O2. Have you tried accessing blocked sites with the VPN turned off?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You can remove the age restriction in My O2. Using a VPN will still require this removed.

O2 seem to have reset this to the default of 'on' when they had a system update

Fortunately not all customers have been affected

Message 4 of 10

Xeno
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi Bambino, the site is a VPN website that I use, it's unblocked now my VPN is on, but blocked when it's not. Obviously a VPN website isn't an adult content website. So I'm assuming it's blocked by 02 as they don't want users using a VPN even though these days not using a VPN can make you vulnerable to attacks online. BT block access to the VPN site too, but only when my VPN is inactive.
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144653 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@Xeno 

O2 don't decide which sites to block.

It's all explained in the link I gave you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

Xeno
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'll have a look, many thanks ๐Ÿ‘
Message 7 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23147 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Xeno FYI, I use a VPN and it blocks sites that don't contain adult material, but are ad heavy.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@Xeno,

If the site is blocked then as @MI5  and @Bambino  have mentioned its probably been reported by multiple people and services as a problem.

Just so you know about VPN's and security:

"it encrypts the traffic to the VPN provider. The crucial part is that after the VPN provider, the traffic is still just as plaintext as it ever was. This means that someone can still eavesdrop/MITM traffic, they just need to do so at a different point than before. It has not become any fundamentally harder."

If you really want to be secure and anonymous online build your own DMZ and Firewalls to protect yourself, even build your own VPN service.

I have my own VPN Server and Service which i use when off my LAN and WLAN... 

edited as spelling mistakes

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 10

Xeno
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Many thanks for your advice ๐Ÿ‘
Message 10 of 10