cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Tariff Confusion

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got a new phone on O2 and need to choose a tariff. First option is unlimited texts for £7.50 a month. Does that mean that when I top up by at least £7.50 I get unlimited texts for one month, and my calls and data come out of the £7.50? Or do I need to top up by more? If I top up £10, does the £7.50 come off leaving me with £2.50 for calls and data?
Could someone recommend a tariff ? I rarely make calls, less than 5 mins a month, I send about 300-400 texts a month and use about 300 Mb data (mostly sat nav) .
I've used half my initial £10 top up already (1 week), so need to choose a tariff.
Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Yes, you'd need a GiffGaff sim and would have to port your number, but if you look on the GiffGaff website it's a fairly easy process. GiffGaff runs on the O2 network, so your coverage would remain the same as you have now.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Your options are all here PAYG Tariff's

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick reply. It's my first PAYG for years, so sorry for daft questions.
If I choose a £10 a month tariff does that mean I pay that every month? That's not what I want. I want to top up every two or three months, get something free for the first month, then use the amount I topped up with for the next month or two. Does this make sense? I used to do that. I would top up £10 and get 500 texts which lasted a month, then the cost of texts for the next month or two would come out of the £10.
Message 3 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

For the usage you need it sounds as if a GiffGaff tariff might be better.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would that mean a new sim and setting up of accounts, new number (or PAC code) etc?
I had so much hassle trying to keep old number, use old sim in new phone etc etc that would only be a last resort.
Message 5 of 29

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Yes, you'd need a GiffGaff sim and would have to port your number, but if you look on the GiffGaff website it's a fairly easy process. GiffGaff runs on the O2 network, so your coverage would remain the same as you have now.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me pay as you go go go 20 ticks my boxes.

These allowances last a month and then a top up is needed before the anniversary date.

Take a look at the tariffs link provided to see what suites your usage needs.
Message 7 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I want to top up every two or three months, get something free for the first month, then use the amount I topped up with for the next month or two. 

The O2 Unlimited tariff will give you that option if you wish. Whatever you top up will give you an allowance for 30 days, but you keep the top up, so after the 30 days you use the amount you topped up until it runs out.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm starting to feel a little foolish. I really don't understand these tariffs. 

o2 Unlimited seems to offer texts to other o2 users. 

"Unlimited lets you choose from:
£10
a month
Unlimited UK O2 to O2 texts and 50MB data "

"Pay & Go Go Go 75 mins, 500texts, 250MB" is £10 a month. That sounds OK (even though I don't need 75 mins). If I go for this one, the 500 texts and 250Mb would probably last me a month, then would the £10 pay for the next month, or have I lost that £10?  
Message 9 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

With Pay as you Go Go Go 10 the £10 top up is taken from your available credit to pay for those allowances.

For example.

If you topped up £10 today the Pay as you Go Go Go tariff would start, the £10 would be deducted from your credit, and you would have an anniversary date of the 24/12/13. You would need to top up by then to get a new months allowances and your next anniversary date would be the 24/01/14 and so on.

If you missed the anniversary date top up the allowances would not refresh and you would revert to paying the standard tariff charges until you topped up again. Then the pay as you go go go tariff would start again and give you a new anniversary date. 

Message 10 of 29