cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Tariff Confusion

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got a new phone on O2 and need to choose a tariff. First option is unlimited texts for £7.50 a month. Does that mean that when I top up by at least £7.50 I get unlimited texts for one month, and my calls and data come out of the £7.50? Or do I need to top up by more? If I top up £10, does the £7.50 come off leaving me with £2.50 for calls and data?
Could someone recommend a tariff ? I rarely make calls, less than 5 mins a month, I send about 300-400 texts a month and use about 300 Mb data (mostly sat nav) .
I've used half my initial £10 top up already (1 week), so need to choose a tariff.
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

account summary.jpg

Strangley, when I now click 'change my tariff' at the bottom it's not there anymore. There's Text and Call but not Text and Web. Maybe it doesn't show my current tariff as obviously I can't change to it. 

Message 21 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Can anyone spot the mistake?

Message 22 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. Can anyone spot the mistake?

Nope - must be having a slow night wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems it's not a mistake, just a stroke of good fortune. I get 300 Texts and 500MB when I top up a tenner. They've given me 500 texts. It looks like they have taken the £5+ that was already in credit into account and given me the £15 top up freebie, 500 texts and 500MB. I'm glad I didn't wait until the £6.20 I was credit had run down like I intended. 

I like this tariff (though I yet to make a single call!) 

Message 24 of 29

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Hahaha, it's because you had over £15 credit I guess.... slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked into GiffGaff and it looks good. I'll give this O2 text and web tariff 2 or 3 months and see what my costs are. 

Well, it's been about 7 months. Everything has worked smoothly and as planned. I've been topping up roughly £10 every second month. The free texts and web last a month then I use the £10 credit for the next month or so, which is what I wanted. 

Small problem.. I've just started cycling, and like to use an app called MapMyFitness. I top up and get 300mb for he month, which is fine, then I'm charged £1 a day, which isn't fine. My £10 credit obviously plummets in days. (Previously I was happy to curtail my data use every second month). 

So.. I've looked at 'Bolt Ons', and for £3 a month I can have 100mb (a bit stingey!). I'd opt in to the bolt on one month, then have to opt out so as not to be charged £3 (I'd be using my free 300mb that month). This isn't ideal..

Do I have any other options? Any advice? I'd just like a little more free or cheap data! I can't see any suitable plan. 

I've tried a Three SIM which is '321' (3p a minute, 2p a text and 1p a mb) which would be ideal I think, but I can't get a signal in the house. O2 is great or a signal by the way. 

Maybe I should look at Giffgaff again..

Message 26 of 29

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Unfortunately there are no other options on O2 and to use data on giffgaff from credit is expensive too.
Depending on calling minutes requirements the best giffgaff goodybag for you would be the £7.50 per month offer but this obviously increases your spend slightly.....

Currently using:
Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
 the best giffgaff goodybag for you would be the £7.50 per month offer but this obviously increases your spend slightly.....

Yes, just what I thought, but the standard tariffs, without a goody bag:

"Mobile internet is charged at no more than 20p a day (up to 20MB). If you go over 20MB, you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB" ..  and texts are 6p. 

If I used data twice a week over two months with Giffgaff it would be £1.60, with O2 it would be £4 plus my top up. 

I think I'll try Giffgaff. It's a shame as I like O2 but I don't want to pay £1 a day. 

Message 28 of 29

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Just stay below 20mb in any one 24 hour period and you'll be fine.
If you calculate out 20p/mb on top of that it is an horrendous cost.
ie 50mb in one day will cost £6.20, 100mb will cost £16.20 !!!!

Currently using:
Message 29 of 29