cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.8 pence/minute UK calls on O2 Pay&Go sim (a workaround)

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

25p/min to UK numbers are the O2 Pay&Go standard call charges. A bit too much if you ask me slight_smile There's however a little workaround to reduce it to 2.8 pence a minute.

What we need:

1) An O2 International sim. It charges you 1p/min to dial an Irish landline number.

2) A Localphone account. This is one of the voip providers. It charges you 0.5p/min for calls to UK landlines and 1.8p to call UK mobiles.

How do we do it:

1) Register you Localphone account and register your O2 number with it.

2) As they provide call-through access numbers in many countries, Ireland included, get an Irish access number from Localphone.

3) Dial that access number and once prompted, key in the UK number you are about to call.

It can sound a bit complicated and the calling process itself can sound a bit lengthy, but if you own a smartphone you can download an app to automate the whole thing (you'd need one of those apps which handle call prefixes).

Another downside is the need to top up two accounts (O2 and Localphone) separately.

Some, however, might find it useful slight_smile

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing.

My heads spinning. 😉
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Interesting @cyrillicguy  Though I found my own workaround this problem.

All my family are on O2 like myself and they are free to call. O2 to O2...

They can even call me when I am in Spain at no cost to them.... I get charged the 50p connection fee. I am happy with that as I expect the call will last 59 minutes wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Interesting @cyrillicguy  Though I found my own workaround this problem.

All my family are on O2 like myself and they are free to call. O2 to O2...

They can even call me when I am in Spain at no cost to them.... I get charged the 50p connection fee. I am happy with that as I expect the call will last 59 minutes wink

Obviously, your workaround is much simplier, I give you that slight_smile

Message 4 of 4