cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 month lock in on new iPhone 6 on PAYG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my iPhone 6 for 3 months now and I am fed up with the lack of 4G availability outside London and on the trains. I thought I would try out EE and discovered to my horror that unlike virtually every other network O2 lock in their PAYG customers for 12 months when they activate a new device, a new device I paid for in full and belongs to me.

The whole point of going PAYG and buying my own phone is that I did not want to be locked into a contract. I am now suffering the worst of both worlds; locked in for another 9 months without the benefits of a contract.

I have three O2 phones I can assure that they will all be moved off O2 as soon as your punitive policies allow unless this daft restriction is lifted. At no time was I told that I would be locked in for 12 months upon first activation. I have been with O2 for years and am appalled by this.

The only reason I wanted to try EE on one of my three iPhones is because of the poor 4g coverage. And you refuse to publish a timetable of when this will be address as well. How do you expect to retain any customers with this type of deception?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

I'm sure @Toby will pass your thoughts on to those in control.......

For future (as all networks do this) buy your phone from an Apple store and you won't have the problem.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is interesting because according to Ofcom, only O2 have a 12 month lock in. Some have 3 months and some have none.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
The only network that don't lock their phones currently is Three (this is a recent change) all other networks do.
giffgaff (not a network, but an MVNO of O2) also sell completely sim free phones (inc iPhones) and so do Carphone Warehouse (but not iPhones).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought I'd the iPhone was bought outright then o2 had to unlock it on request? ????

I guess the £15 would be needed as on payg.

Have I missed something here?
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
I'm not sure we have had an iPhone 6 PAYG test case to refer back to yet, but yes, if a contract phone is paid off they will unlock it.....

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6